Eating up TiN cated HSS endmills need helP!

I personally dont think a machine that can take .1 of the radius is to much to ask for ahahahaha And that aint really alot in reality. But thats what I want. You watch Abom take a 1/2in off a slab of steel in no time makes me sad ahahahaha

But I agree, it aint for everyone. And aint needed by even me. But man I want it

I just like to give a guy some idea of where to start. I know for my self if I read take lite cut I think less then .010. When I read slow speed I think 300 and down. And thats completely relative to the dude reading it. I totaly discounted alot of bench mills because I kept reading "just take lite cuts" so to me that means that machine can only do .01 at a pass with no stress. And thats a huge misconception but thats my interpretation of the term. This is also why I ask so often what DOC their machine is pulling off with a typical end mill. Not a rougher. Thats important to me if I am buying. Because the terms used are so wide open to ones own conclusions.

That being said, the machine will talk to you, the material and cutter talk, shoot even the coolant or cutting fluid could say something. If you cant hold the part for 10min cause it will burn you that part is talking to you ahahahahahahaha

OK, that makes sense. When I am speaking of my PM25/G0704 and light cuts with a standard endmill I am talking about .05 or less. I usually start at about .03 and go from there, dependant upon the material and size of cutter of course. Anything bigger cut-wise and I bring out the carbide roughers to lessen the stresses put on the machine.

Just an FYI. There are a number of different programs out there to help you find a good "starting point" for speeds/feeds in different materials with different machines. The one that I became attached to is HSMAdvisor as it gives me more information than I'll ever be able to use.

Screen shot:

speedfeed304.jpg

-Ron

speedfeed304.jpg

Thanks guys! I am going to stick to 3/8 or smaller end mills and pick up some new ones. Some that we know work. I am going to grab some from meritool unless anyone else has some better suggestions.

Most of my work will be Aluminum and Mild Steel. I assume I should stick with 4 flute for mild steel.

Thanks guys! I am going to stick to 3/8 or smaller end mills and pick up some new ones. Some that we know work. I am going to grab some from meritool unless anyone else has some better suggestions.

Most of my work will be Aluminum and Mild Steel. I assume I should stick with 4 flute for mild steel.

Remember the 2 and 4 flute mills have different purpose, 2 flute can slot 4 flute can not.

Somone was saying about 2 flute being for alu but the main reason is slotting as far as I am aware. I have made a lot of slots in steel with 2 and 3 flute cutters. When I was learning i broke a few 4 flute cutters trying to slot ;-)

Stuart

that should read "when I was first learning" as its all a learning curve.

Noted and added to cart! Thanks... I did not know that. I would have definitely broken one.

Also I just ran some numbers in g wizard... It says I should run the 3/8 4 flute rougher at .020 DOC at 2200 rpm?

Does that sound right?

My machine is a 1hp Grizzy g0704

Also I just ran some numbers in g wizard... It says I should run the 3/8 4 flute rougher at .020 DOC at 2200 rpm?

Does that sound right?

My machine is a 1hp Grizzy g0704

At .020 you could go that high, but I'd start down around 1500 and listen to the mill/cutter and check the chip color. You can always increase the rpm (ain't variable speed grand?) :))

At only .020 you really don't need a rougher. A good quality 4-flute will do just fine. If you need to take more, say around .050 or more, I'd definitely grab a rougher. It's just easier on the machine and the cutter.

I use two flute for slotting both steel and aluminum. I may have to try a 3-flute for slotting sometime. For hogging aluminum I use 3-flute roughers and 3-flute standard for finish cuts.

Last edited:

There are many types of stainless, and these should work for general types. For the tougher/harder stuff I have a couple of 6-flute high helix cutters that I use for profiling.

The combinations and permutations of metals and cutters will drive you nuts if you try to take this all in at once. Usually what I do is for a specific project I look at what type of cuts I need in what type of material and buy my tooling based on that (if I need to buy any).

And above all, have fun! :D

Back