Ebay Dro Kits Direct From China

Bob Korves

Platinum
Rest In Peace
What are your experiences with buying larger items direct from China? Have you been satisfied? Did you get nailed for customs duty, and if so, how much? There are some very good prices out there, complete kits with glass scales for ~$220 for 2 axis and $350 for three axis. In your experience, is it worth pursuing? I am particularly interested in the details of any bad experiences you have had...

What are your experiences with buying larger items direct from China? Have you been satisfied? Did you get nailed for customs duty, and if so, how much? There are some very good prices out there, complete kits with glass scales for ~$220 for 2 axis and $350 for three axis. In your experience, is it worth pursuing? I am particularly interested in the details of any bad experiences you have had...

Hi Bob
I recieved a DRO 2 days ago. I ordered it mid April, revised the order 4 days later, to larger scales. The whole transaction has gone smoothly and the product is what I ordered and expected I couldn't be happier! this is the second time I have ordered a "China" DRO. the first was 6 or 7 years ago and has worked on my big mill without any problems . the first cost me about $500 + $125 in shipping, The new one (for my big lathe) cost me $225 with free shipping. the actual shipping time was about 5 days FedEx

Hi Bob
I recieved a DRO 2 days ago. I ordered it mid April, revised the order 4 days later, to larger scales. The whole transaction has gone smoothly and the product is what I ordered and expected I couldn't be happier! this is the second time I have ordered a "China" DRO. the first was 6 or 7 years ago and has worked on my big mill without any problems . the first cost me about $500 + $125 in shipping, The new one (for my big lathe) cost me $225 with free shipping. the actual shipping time was about 5 days FedEx
Thanks, gaston. One part of the equation that concerns me is that the importer (the buyer in this case) is responsible for the duty. If the value of the item is less than $200, then there is no duty. The seller would not even know what the duty was, that is determined by the Customs and Border Patrol here in the US.
http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/internet-purchases
I also understand that many of those shipments do not have a packing slip or a stated value, which leaves the importer/buyer wide open to possible charges, and I understand they can go pretty high. I want to see what the actual experiences of buyers have been, if Customs levied charges, or any other things I should watch our for or be prepared for. I fear that "free shipping" may not be the end of the story...

Last edited:
I have purchase a number of items from China and had no issue with duties. I purchased a spindle motor, ball screws and linear bearings that cost $1,100. Typically larger items cost a lot to ship, so the value of the item is reduced by the cost of the shipping bringing it under the $200 limit.

Fedex wouldn't pick up the item without stuff like packing slip/description of what's inside/value. This is not just for customs, but to make sure they can even ship the item. Even packages sent via plain postal mail need that info.

I ordered some tachometers for my equipement via ebay from china, got them about 3 months later [truly, a slow boat from China].

If it's more expensive, you will be charge customs/duty. If the stated value is "off" [if the shipper puts down a value that looks too low to the customs agent], then you will have to establish how much you paid for it or they will estimate it's value and charge you customs/duty based on that.

I have purchase a number of items from China and had no issue with duties. I purchased a spindle motor, ball screws and linear bearings that cost $1,100. Typically larger items cost a lot to ship, so the value of the item is reduced by the cost of the shipping bringing it under the $200 limit.
Thanks, Brooks. I don't understand why the shipping would lower the value of the item, unless it is to the seller. I think customs only cares about its value here(?) Do you know for sure that is what Customs does?

Fedex wouldn't pick up the item without stuff like packing slip/description of what's inside/value. This is not just for customs, but to make sure they can even ship the item. Even packages sent via plain postal mail need that info.

I ordered some tachometers for my equipement via ebay from china, got them about 3 months later [truly, a slow boat from China].

If it's more expensive, you will be charge customs/duty. If the stated value is "off" [if the shipper puts down a value that looks too low to the customs agent], then you will have to establish how much you paid for it or they will estimate it's value and charge you customs/duty based on that.
Thanks, Dave. Does Fedex do a lot of the shipping of these goods from China, door to door? That would make things a lot more safe and reliable. Three months would make an Ebay transaction a bit squirrelly, you would not be able to get your money back that late if it turned sour, as I understand things.

I have no idea of the exact process Fedex has inside China, but it would be similar to here, where you can either drop the package off or have it picked up.

And yeah, with the slower shipping methods, they will exceed the time limit ebay has for transactions, and also go against the 'tracking' provisions they have for shipping.

That's interesting, in the UK the postage cost gets import duty too :)

Stuart

Thanks, Brooks. I don't understand why the shipping would lower the value of the item, unless it is to the seller. I think customs only cares about its value here(?) Do you know for sure that is what Customs does?

Bob for example the last item I purchased from China was a set of replacement tongue arms for a trailer that had been damaged. The price I was quoted for the goods and shipping was $250, when I received the 5'x6"x6" package the paperwork stated the value of the items at $50. Another shipment of 4 ballscrews and 6 linear rails 4' long was $550 declared value $195. Those are my most recent experiences.

Back