Ebay Dro Kits Direct From China

Well, when I come back on the plane from China , they give you that customs declaration form to fill out. I recall the maximum you can bring back is $10K worth before you have to pay duty on the things you bought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hi Bob,

I have bought several electronic items from China I never had a problem or had to pay a duty. Recently I bought a 3 Axis DRO for my Mill through Ali Express (Chinese eBay). The seller was easy to communicate with and the package arrived 6 only days after I ordered it, via DHL. So far, I have installed 2 axises, all works perfectly and I am very happy with it. I saved hundred$.

Bob for example the last item I purchased from China was a set of replacement tongue arms for a trailer that had been damaged. The price I was quoted for the goods and shipping was $250, when I received the 5'x6"x6" package the paperwork stated the value of the items at $50. Another shipment of 4 ballscrews and 6 linear rails 4' long was $550 declared value $195. Those are my most recent experiences.
I understand what you are saying, Brooks. I think they did you a favor to foster future sales. I think it is very common for them to write down a number under $200, so customs is not supposed to need to get involved. However, customs can challenge that valuation, and ask for receipts, etc., backing up what you paid for it. Now I am sure there are millions of packages going through customs every day, and very few of them are looked at, much less examined and possibly challenged. But from what I read, customs does do that, the buyer is the importer, and any and all costs get paid by the importer (buyer). It sounds like it does not happen often, but it is still a bit scary. I have read a lot of good experiences in buying from China, and almost nothing bad first hand, only warnings of what is possible. I guess the concept is to find a reputable seller with lots of experience and excellent ratings, and hope he knows how to work the system well, so that the odds favor success. Then roll the dice.

Last edited:
Hi Bob,

I have bought several electronic items from China I never had a problem or had to pay a duty. Recently I bought a 3 Axis DRO for my Mill through Ali Express (Chinese eBay). The seller was easy to communicate with and the package arrived 6 only days after I ordered it, via DHL. So far, I have installed 2 axises, all works perfectly and I am very happy with it. I saved hundred$.
Thanks, Eddyde. I did not know about Ali Express. I will check it out. That sounds like a good experience.

Well, when I come back on the plane from China , they give you that customs declaration form to fill out. I recall the maximum you can bring back is $10K worth before you have to pay duty on the things you bought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Hi, Ken. I checked on the CBP web site for my information. They are the source. For "internet sales" anything imported valued (by the CBP) above $200 is subject to duty. and the duty is paid by the importer, that would be the buyer in an Ebay purchase, not using a broker. Apparently it can be quite time consuming and costly to unravel. I guess they need to make an example of someone once in a while, like the IRS does.

I purchased a Sino 3 axis DRO from a vendor in China through EBay three months ago. The advertised price was $390 + $120 shipping. I received the order in one week and the vendor was very helpful in making sure I got what I needed. I have been using the equipment since and it works perfectly. The only weak point I have found is the very poor documentation. There was no mention of any import duty and the total cost was the $390 + $120.

I purchased a Sino 3 axis DRO from a vendor in China through EBay three months ago. The advertised price was $390 + $120 shipping. I received the order in one week and the vendor was very helpful in making sure I got what I needed. I have been using the equipment since and it works perfectly. The only weak point I have found is the very poor documentation. There was no mention of any import duty and the total cost was the $390 + $120.
Thanks, Terry. More data for my search, no negative experiences posted so far...

Bob
I am following this with a lot of interest, I am wanting to order a DRO also. I am somewhat afraid and confused about ordering from someone I know little about, so the information you get here will help me and others:encourage: .

John
Is aliexpress and ebay the same or they total different?
Hope I am not getting personal, When you ordered did you/could you use pay pal?
Also how did you measure your scale length?
Thanks for any advise or help.
Thank
Tomh

Back