Ebay India

The four primary languages of Mumbai India are Hindi, English, Gujarati, and Marathi.
The meaning of the word (in those languages) translates to monkey, uncle, brothers cousin, and us English speakers use the Spanish meaning(although I doubt Indian English speakers do).

Thanks Google. We were all getting a little sidetracked. Lol

I was really just talking about those unbranded items like tailstock taper attachments, tailstock die holders, little rotary tables (with and without chuck), lathe milling attachments, etc. They never have a name on them. Just on EBay and shipping is from India. But it is good to know that some of you are using things branded and made in India, and seem generally positive about the experience. Thanks!

I look at components from India as kit material. I bought a three jaw live center that was off by maybe 1/8”. I discovered that the jaws had to be reset…the jaw vs. body numbering was all wrong. Once I realized and fixed that, it was usable with runout of around .003 or so, not so bad.

Everything I’ve gotten from India has had very pretty surface finishes…good surface and cylindrical grinding, nice paint or anodizing, etc.

I look at components from India as kit material
Same with China. I guess we with a history with trying to source tooling and even the material get this. But folks who are new just see tooling and have the expectation of perfection without the background. As long as it’s not completely junk I don’t mind doing the finishing and even improving the design for my work at often incredibly cheap prices. There are many factors like gov support of these industries and high volume but often I can’t even source the material for what I can get it off eBay.

im not sure I’ve ever even seen a US made equivalent to the tailstock die holders.

it’s why I went ahead and bought one of these tailstock die kits. Without these sources I couldn’t afford my hobby addiction and dabble in other things I’ve always had interest. Often I find this stuff used but once again you have to be knowledgeable because I see folks on CL trying to get close to new inflated price when it was purchased originally for half that price!

I have had good experiences buying from India, but my most recent experience has chilled me. I ordered from a vendor who is held in high regard. After the order, he told me India Post had stopped shipping, but if I paid him even MORE money for shipping he would send my product via an alternative shipper which was still operating. He gladly took the extra shipping money. I asked for a shipping number, but he feigned not fully understanding English. He kept making excuses, and eventually stopped responding. He delayed until the time to lodge a complaint had passed. He relied upon the geographical distance to keep him free of consequences. He continues to sell on eBay. He does not sell machine shop equipment, but I was ordering raw material (hard rubber rod). Should I ever visit India (very unlikely), I will visit him and help him recover his mastery of the English language.

Due to his actions, I am quite unlikely to order anything from India again. They make excuses, delay, and have no real accountability.

I’ve looked at some of the tools from India that are listed on eBay, but have yet to buy any. I have avoided them because they generally have a disclaimer stating that any extra taxes or customs charges are on the buyer. Because of that, I’m not sure what the items would actually cost me. I haven’t done any research yet to determine if any customs or tax issues even exist.

Has anyone in the USA been hit with customs charges or taxes (other than normal sales tax) when buying from these folks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The two things I have ordered from India via E-Bay I have not had any additional fees or taxes due. Just the purchase price and shipping is what I paid.

I have had good experiences buying from India, but my most recent experience has chilled me. I ordered from a vendor who is held in high regard. After the order, he told me India Post had stopped shipping, but if I paid him even MORE money for shipping he would send my product via an alternative shipper which was still operating. He gladly took the extra shipping money. I asked for a shipping number, but he feigned not fully understanding English. He kept making excuses, and eventually stopped responding. He delayed until the time to lodge a complaint had passed. He relied upon the geographical distance to keep him free of consequences. He continues to sell on eBay. He does not sell machine shop equipment, but I was ordering raw material (hard rubber rod). Should I ever visit India (very unlikely), I will visit him and help him recover his mastery of the English language.

Due to his actions, I am quite unlikely to order anything from India again. They make excuses, delay, and have no real accountability.
I recently had an incident with a scam artist from China. This morning, after discovering that the vendor had disappeared from eBay, I contacted eBay and requested that the order be cancelled and my purchase price be refunded. Within a few seconds, a reply appeared in my e-mail as follows,
"We're sorry to hear that you didn't receive the item you purchased. Your request is open, and we've asked the seller to respond and resolve your issue by Jul 10, 2021.​
If you don't hear back or can't work something out, you can ask us to step in beginning Jul 10, 2021. If that happens, we'll review your request, gather any new info we need, and make a decision within 48 hours."

Nineteen minutes later, I got the following message from eBay.
"​
"Unfortunately, we didn't receive valid tracking information from the seller. We're sorry you had a problem with your purchase.​

We refunded US $30.58 to your original payment method, which includes item price, shipping, and tax. Please allow 48 hours for it to process."​

I’ve looked at some of the tools from India that are listed on eBay, but have yet to buy any. I have avoided them because they generally have a disclaimer stating that any extra taxes or customs charges are on the buyer. Because of that, I’m not sure what the items would actually cost me. I haven’t done any research yet to determine if any customs or tax issues even exist.

Has anyone in the USA been hit with customs charges or taxes (other than normal sales tax) when buying from these folks?

It‘s already tricky to balance all the info needed to try and figure out an eBay deal but just like all scammers they always are one step ahead. I think this is because they are constantly getting info from eBay like how many people look at their site and what they look at etc.

So not only do I have to figure out if the seller is reputable, if that’s REALLY a pic of what I’m getting, but also where it’s shipping from. I think I and many longtime ebayers avoid buying directly from India and China and try to buy from US sources. But I know one Chinese outfit with an address in Montana is really shipping from China, saying it’s coming inside the US because it arrived DHL from China. No extra tax or anything.

I bought one big ticket(for me) item and it was a LOT of wrangling and several months back and forth. But it kinda worked out but that was a wake up for me and I won’t make that mistake again.

It‘s already tricky to balance all the info needed to try and figure out an eBay deal but just like all scammers they always are one step ahead. I think this is because they are constantly getting info from eBay like how many people look at their site and what they look at etc.

So not only do I have to figure out if the seller is reputable, if that’s REALLY a pic of what I’m getting, but also where it’s shipping from. I think I and many longtime ebayers avoid buying directly from India and China and try to buy from US sources. But I know one Chinese outfit with an address in Montana is really shipping from China, saying it’s coming inside the US because it arrived DHL from China. No extra tax or anything.

I bought one big ticket(for me) item and it was a LOT of wrangling and several months back and forth. But it kinda worked out but that was a wake up for me and I won’t make that mistake again.

I have noticed over the last few years that if you search for US only, you get a lot of listings saying New Jersey or California that are actually China. It will give a US state, but if you click on the seller profile it says China.

Yeah, a lot of eBay adds say USA in the item title but ship from India. Some even say US Stock but that’s worse - they ship orders weekly from India to a US stocking site rather than shipping each order direct.

Of two items I ordered last week, one made it to the local NH USPS distribution center quickly before being misshipped by USPS all over - maybe it will arrive, maybe not. The second was shuttled back and forth in India until the seller said they would send a new shipment, with apologies.

The clear sign that an item stocks/ships from US used to be greater cost, but that’s now used to scam buyers into thinking items don’t ship from India.

I guess we have only ourselves to blame as US-made can’t compete on cost, so few even try.

Back