Ebay issue, how to handle bait and switch...

So far, the seller has offered me a refund of $6, on a $9.18 part. I accepted with the proviso that I keep the parts, since mailing would cost too much to ship back. We will see how this goes. So far, so good. Who knows, it may all blow up in my face.

On a good note, I just received 10 TCGT21.51-AK carbide inserts from Hong Kong (Ebay) for $9.99 shipped. Only took 2 weeks. These inserts give a really nice finish on my mini-lathe. I haven't used up my original set of 10 yet, but I bought these guys just to have them on hand.

I didn't have the cashflow to buy a mill so I decided to build my own. Time will tell if that was a good idea but so far I've enjoyed the learning experience.

Those tiny endmills are usually meant for cheap gantry type cnc mills/engravers that use a router motor to work wood, plastic or other soft materials. The kits are pretty cheap from China;)

John
I'll look into this. Oh, yeah, another project! It does look like fun. Do you have a writeup or thread on this DIY?

This thread reminds me of a situation I was in as a young kid. I was going to school and living with a room mate to minimize expenses. Our lease on an apartment was about to expire so we started moving out. There were still a few days left so we weren't in a big hurry. We took several loads of furniture and household goods to a new apartment and came back for the final cleanup.

Although there was still a little less than a week left on our lease the landlord had already leased the apartment to a new tenant. If that wasn't bad enough he wanted to charge us a fee for cleanup, and keep our security deposit claiming we had torn the carpet in the hall while moving.

Needless to say we were upset and took him to small claims court. The case dragged on a couple months, but in the end we won. The judge ordered the landlord to refund security deposit and drop the cleaning fee. As we were leaving court the judge pulled us aside and gave us an FYI.

He said "I wouldn't expect any reimbursement now, or any time in the future". He further stated that if the landlord resided in the city there was about a 60% chance we would get our money. If he lived in the county there was a 40% chance. If he lived in the state there was a 25% chance. Since both the landlord and the company he owned were from out of state there was less than a 5% chance we would ever get our money.

I'm still looking in the mail for the check. Somehow I think that after 50 years it either got lost, or the judges assessment of the situation was correct.

The good thing is the difference is with eBay that your feedback about the seller is all mighty with prospective buyers. Very few want any negative feedback. i wish landlords cared about feedback.

When renting, we never expected to get the security deposit back. I was shocked one time when I actually did. I'm sure none of them were holding it in an escrow account like the law stated.

Last edited:
I'll look into this. Oh, yeah, another project! It does look like fun. Do you have a writeup or thread on this DIY?

Impressive. Looks like an ambitious and fun project.

Just received a refund of $6 from Paypal posted to my CC. And I get to keep the 10 end mills.

Back