Ebay issue, how to handle bait and switch...

Yes, they are all really the same. The second one is fine - it says it's an end mill. The pictures are of end mills. I have no problem with that. I do have a problem with false photos, or listings with true verbiage at the very end, which negates everything above it.

The first listing has a bogus title, but at least the picture is of an end mill. The title is deceptive, and having the actual description that far away from the top is really sleazy in my opinion. Live and learn, I guess.

I'd take the lump and any refund I could get and move on. $9 isn't worth the hassle in my opinion, and the seller's actions suggest it's not worth it to them either.

No mention of end mills in original listing. Picture was of twist drills. In "revised" listing, they still use picture of twist drills. Then they used "weasel words" end mill in small print at very bottom of page (2 pages down of scrolling). It's a deceptive listing. In my opinion, it's fraudulent intent.
So you do have them. Is it fraud? I think Ebay would look at it as more of an error, and they did fix the listing.

You have the choice of taking the $3, or sending it back, which we know will take forever. Did you do the ebay case for not as described? or just contact the seller? Opening the case, Ebay will likely look at it as they offered the partial refund, or offered to let you send them back. What else would you expect from a seller? Do you have enough to prove fraudulent intent? I do not think so.

My experience, most of these chinese sellers never see the items. They just post the adds, and tell the warehouse to ship. You can even see many different sellers with the same exact listing. I just went through this with a pack of 1/8NPT ball valves. they arrived as 1/8"NPS. I went through a week of trying to tell them the difference, and show in a photo. I should have just sent them back, but I needed a few for a project. So I ended up buying some adapters. They did change their listing, but all the other sellers with the same add, still say 1/8"NPT. Is it fraud on the other sellers? or just plain ignorance, and not any willingness to share and correct between them?

There is very little costumer service left on Ebay.

If you want quality tools and good service buy from a reputable business.

I've already wasted $6 of my time reading and responding to this post. I'm with Jim take the refund and move on or go through the process outlined by eBay to resolve you issue if your time isn't worth much.

John

All three listings had both end mills and drills in the descriptions.

As I see it, the problem is that, 1 the sellers isn't really know what they're selling. When you look at their store and see the type of items they are selling, that is obvious. and 2. the sellers copy and paste photos and descriptions, sometimes from the manufacturers and sometimes from other sites.
There is definitely a buyer beware requirement when dealing with eBay, Amazon, and the like.

Sorry John. No one said you had to read or respond unkindly to this thread. I asked for the forum's opinions, and I got some. Purpose of the thread was satisfied.

I've already moved on, but this thread keeps on going... Can we kill it?

Sorry John. No one said you had to read or respond unkindly to this thread. I asked for the forum's opinions, and I got some. Purpose of the thread was satisfied.

I think a lot of good points have come up. For me, the end result is buyer beware does not mean much with the chinese sellers on Ebay. What we are used to with established American businessess, also do not matter to Ebay & Amazon sellers. But that still does not solve how we should handle cases like this. I guess the best answer is we should send it back, even if it does take time. That way the seller will loose, and take more responsibility.

Side note, anyone looking at these valves, I suspect they are all NPS, not NPT.

I apologize if you feel my remarks were unkind, that was not my intention.

I do think that most of us have had this type of situation before, if this is your first time dealing with it then perhaps a lesson learned? This situation is less a "bait & switch" and more of a seller just doesn't know what they have and probably doesn't care.

I was caught up in a cheap dividing head actual eBay scam a while back that went on for a long time with posts on here. The admins will definitely lock or delete a thread if people start getting nasty but I've rarely seen it here.

Cheers,

John

Back