Ebay Shipping via USPS

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Notice where the package was on November 15 16 and 17. I live between OKC and FT Worth. If I mail a letter or package at our downtown Post office and send it to the Post office on the west side of town it must first go to Ft Worth Texas 260-mile round trip and return to the west side Post Office! "It's a Damn Shame"

1. Nov 17, 2023
    10:29am
    PROCESSED THROUGH USPS FACILITY
    FORT WORTH TX DISTRIBUTION CENT, 76161
  2. Nov 16, 2023
    9:26pm
    OKLAHOMA CITY OK DISTRIBUTION C, 73107
  3. Nov 16, 2023
    12:00am
    In Transit to Next Facility

4. Nov 15, 2023
    2:07pm
    ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
  5. Nov 14, 2023
    8:51am
    DEPARTED USPS REGIONAL FACILITY
    MORENO VALLEY CA DISTRIBUTION C, 92553
  6. Nov 14, 2023
    8:32am
  7. Nov 14, 2023
    6:43am
    CITY OF INDUSTRY CA DISTRIBUTIO, 91715
  8. Nov 14, 2023
    4:05am
  9. Nov 14, 2023
    2:50am
    ORIGIN ACCEPTANCE
    CHINO, CA 91710

It's even more fouled up when eBay shippers refuse to accept a USPS address because the eBay shipper will only ship UPS requiring a physical address; then the shipper uses UPS smartpost and the USPS can not/refuses/will not deliver to the UPS physical address because the 911 address is not in the USPS database.

Notice where the package was on November 15 16 and 17. I live between OKC and FT Worth. If I mail a letter or package at our downtown Post office and send it to the Post office on the west side of town it must first go to Ft Worth Texas 260-mile round trip and return to the west side Post Office! "It's a Damn Shame"

1. Nov 17, 2023
    10:29am
  2. Nov 16, 2023
    9:26pm
    OKLAHOMA CITY OK DISTRIBUTION C, 73107
  3. Nov 16, 2023
    12:00am
    In Transit to Next Facility

4. Nov 15, 2023
    2:07pm
  5. Nov 14, 2023
    8:51am
  6. Nov 14, 2023
    8:32am
  7. Nov 14, 2023
    6:43am
  8. Nov 14, 2023
    4:05am
  9. Nov 14, 2023
    2:50am
    ORIGIN ACCEPTANCE
    CHINO, CA 91710
That's USPS - impacts all shippers & peoples. I have had shipments go from the regional PO to a different (local) PO to another (local) PO and finally to my PO (and boy did that one get me PO'd!).

The USPS financial troubles are based in the fact that the congress passed a law requiring it to fund their retirement program to 100%. Add to that they are still bound by agreements with other countries that were made in the 1800’s. They are in a situation no other companies face.

Most Fortune 500 companies fund at 75% to 80% and update contracts and prices as situations change. USPS doesn’t have this luxury. Congress must approve rate and contract changes

After the GM bankruptcy the government decided USPS must fully fund their retirement program. GM just handed it over to the Union. GM still pays the Union the agreed upon contributions. However it’s not all going into the retirement fund. The UAW retirement system is under funded and currently in trouble.

In our area anything sent to a local address goes to Milwaukee for sorting. Then it comes back to the local branch for delivery. The decision was made several years ago that it would be more cost effective to send everything on a 80 mile round trip than it was to maintain a local sorting facility

Last edited:
Your government dollars hard at work
The United States Postal Service (USPS) does not typically rely on taxpayer dollars to fund its operations. Instead, it is intended to be a self-sustaining entity that generates revenue through the sale of postage, products, and services. The USPS covers its operating expenses, including salaries, facilities, and transportation costs, through the revenue it generates.

It's important to note that the USPS does have a unique relationship with the federal government, and it has certain privileges and responsibilities that stem from its status as an independent establishment of the executive branch. For example:

1. Monopoly on Letter Mail: The USPS has a statutory monopoly on the delivery of letter mail. This means that only the USPS can legally deliver letters to mailboxes.
  2. Universal Service Obligation: The USPS is required to provide universal mail service to all Americans, regardless of their location. This includes delivering mail to remote and less populated areas, where private carriers might not find it economically viable.

That is actually far more efficient than every post office having to sort the mail locally and having multiple trucks going in all different directions. If the local post office did the sorting, each of them would need to have trucks making stops at all the other post offices. By sending to a regional sorting facility, they do the sorting and there is one truck going to the destination instead of many. I would not want to even dream of how expensive postage would be if each local post office did their own sorting and distribution.

That is actually far more efficient than every post office having to sort the mail locally and having multiple trucks going in all different directions. If the local post office did the sorting, each of them would need to have trucks making stops at all the other post offices. By sending to a regional sorting facility, they do the sorting and there is one truck going to the destination instead of many. I would not want to even dream of how expensive postage would be if each local post office did their own sorting and distribution.
It is the same system that Fedex built its original system with. All packages went to a central sorting location, regardless of distance, were sorted, and sent back out on the airplanes when they returned to the remote base.

Later on, all the package carriers revised this to include regional sorting. This is basically what USPS is doing now. It works very well for letters, but they don't seem to handle packages as well.

I have a further problem in that there is no mail delivery to my street address, since their route comes in a direction that puts the delivery on the side of the road with no place to put a mailbox, and it is unsafe to stop there, too. I have taken to contacting Ebay sellers to notify them of this before making the purchase, but some still mess up.

It seems that UPS and Fedex may deliver to your PO box if you use the street address of your post office and "#xxx" like it is an apartment number. I often use this trick if the seller is an idiot.

not to mention, that each would need to have a lot more employees and equipment.
I don't fully understand the system, since there is a stopping point in Phillipsburg NJ, close enough to me.. it's supposedly a dist point.
Then mail heads to Jersey City and Kearny NJ both HUGE dist systems. I don't understand the JC and Kearny ... why 2.. I don't understand what the phillispburg one does, since it is small, but is considered a dist point. Everything coming into NJ stops there, before continuing on.

Back