Ebay Shipping via USPS

That is actually far more efficient than every post office having to sort the mail locally and having multiple trucks going in all different directions. If the local post office did the sorting, each of them would need to have trucks making stops at all the other post offices. By sending to a regional sorting facility, they do the sorting and there is one truck going to the destination instead of many. I would not want to even dream of how expensive postage would be if each local post office did their own sorting and distribution.
This, the tracking is only a recent development and is not indicative of cost or efficiency.

Imagine the costs of every town or even city supporting its own fully staffed sorting facility.

You’ll get your trinkets, just be patient.

not to mention, that each would need to have a lot more employees and equipment.
I don't fully understand the system, since there is a stopping point in Phillipsburg NJ, close enough to me.. it's supposedly a dist point.
Then mail heads to Jersey City and Kearny NJ both HUGE dist systems. I don't understand the JC and Kearny ... why 2.. I don't understand what the phillispburg one does, since it is small, but is considered a dist point. Everything coming into NJ stops there, before continuing on.[/i]

It’s likely just a trucking depot where trailers are swapped to keep day drivers near home and working 3 shifts.[/b

Last edited:
It’s likely just a trucking depot where trailers are swapped to keep day drivers near home and working 3 shifts.
No, it's actually a very small property, it's in the middle of the east and west lanes of Route 22. So not a trucking depot. Not even a great location since semi's barely fit, and the ingress/egress is the left lane on both sides with no ramps. I'm sure the truck drivers think it's a hellish stop.

I have just the opposite I ship and when can specify request shipping by usps.
As you guys who bought end mills from me can testify the shipments sent by usps arrived in two three days.....
Currently or sort of ( Nov. 5) I made several purchases ,everything I could request to go by usps has arrived.
The items shipped by ups still haven't arrived and when tracking it keeps putting the delivery date out another week!
I had to buy the materials again from another vendor who was willing to ship usps.... they have arrived already!
On the ups site is says the package is being delivered by a name I don't recognize and states they don't deliver by date?
If it ever arrives the contents will be shipped back by usps

No, it's actually a very small property, it's in the middle of the east and west lanes of Route 22. So not a trucking depot. Not even a great location since semi's barely fit, and the ingress/egress is the left lane on both sides with no ramps. I'm sure the truck drivers think it's a hellish stop.
So much for that.

I also have no idea why that whole post was in bold. The html on this board doesn’t even work for me.

Shipping quotes . One 50 lb box to Hawaii . $110 with no insurance . Split the contents into 2 smaller boxes . Now is $40 including $800 insurance . Box size and weight play a large role in the costs to ship these days . It pays to shop around and explore alternatives . Pirateship gets you on the weight where flat rate boxes are better . Light small boxes PS is the the way to go .

Just follow the bouncing ball... back and forth, back and forth, (did I repeat that)?? :(
Bought a surface grinder angle dresser.. I thought it was a neat one.. I didn't need it, it was an impulse buy... but it's bouncing... like a ball.

1702919443915.png

I've had hundreds of items shipped here, and this I will assert with that experience: All the shipping companies really screw up from time to time. All of them. And none of the shipping companies are helpful when you call to address problems. This includes USPS, UPS, Fedex, DHL, and the various Amazon contractors that service our location. Oh, and Swiss Post, UK Royal Mail, and EMS.

But this is also true: While a delay of an extra day or two isn't that uncommon, delays longer than that are quite rare in my experience. But you know when I've had the problems? December.

For me, the worst has been UPS, but Fedex has had its days with me, too. USPS is sort-of in the middle.

Even in the Great Shipping Debacle of December 2020, I only had two of ten packages go astray, one for about five weeks. I thought it was the end of the world, but everything eventually showed up and it hasn't been as bad since then.

Given the way people mark addresses on packages, I'm kinda surprised they don't screw up any more often than they do.

Rick "shipped 14 packages by USPS last week and waited in line behind 15 other people also shipping piles of packages" Denney

I ordered an oil filter for my outboard on 11/23 from Walmart. It was "shipped" on 11/24; i.e. a label was printed. It arrived at USPS in Far Rockaway, NY on 11/28. On 11/29, it arrived in Madison, WI, 30 miles from me. From there, it visited Evansville, WI (about 20 miles to the south) and 40 miles from me. Then it went to Oak Creek, WI, 90 miles to the east, then back to Madison, and then to Dodgeville, WI where it was sent out for delivery to my Barneveld address on 12/5 at 3:15PM.

I examined the shipping label and it was correct so my conclusion was that USPS misread the code, sending it on its merry excursion. I won't be using the outboard until next May so the delay caused no harm but it is interesting how things can so easily end up FUBARed. My wife sent a parcel to her twin in N.Ireland via USPS/UK Post. Four weeks later it arrived back here. Apparently, the postmaster who filled out the customs slip wrote Ireland instead of N. Ireland and pasted the slip on top of the correctly addressed label. Customs in the Republic of Ireland didn't know how to handle it so the package was returned to sender. Still, $40 for a return trip across the Atlantic is pretty cheap.

On the whole though, we get excellent service from USPS. Packages from Amazon delivered by USPS usually arrive in a day or two after ordering. More often than not, packages arrive before the vendor's stated delivery date. I read that other parts of the country are experiencing long delays of mail due to a severely overloaded system but it doesn't seem to affect us.

Just follow the bouncing ball... back and forth, back and forth, (did I repeat that)?? :(
Bought a surface grinder angle dresser.. I thought it was a neat one.. I didn't need it, it was an impulse buy... but it's bouncing... like a ball.

View attachment 471109
I have had this happen to some items I have ordered on occasion. I can’t for the life of me figure out how the item was in the post office in my town only to be sent back to a regional facility and sent to another town the next day etc. etc. Similar to what you are experiencing.

Back