Electrical box mounted on Bridgeport

The reversing contactor was most likely installed to move the high motor voltage away from the drum switch to meet a regulatory requirement. Normally 240V or even 480V is wired directly to the drum switch, and that is not the safest way to do it. Much safer for the operator with the reversing contactors and the drum switch switching 120V.

Today, running the motor with a VFD and having 24VDC controls would be my first choice.
I have a phase converter. I have multiple machines I need to wire up and configure. Doing it with the least amount of obsticales would be ideal. Once I get to that hurdle I'll have to come up with a plan. Basically I really don't need the box? I can wire 240v/460v straight to switch/motor?

I have a phase converter. I have multiple machines I need to wire up and configure. Doing it with the least amount of obsticales would be ideal. Once I get to that hurdle I'll have to come up with a plan. Basically I really don't need the box? I can wire 240v/460v straight to switch/motor?

Since you already have the reversing contactor, rather than wiring the switch directly, I would use the reversing contactor, much safer.

Since you already have the reversing contactor, rather than wiring the switch directly, I would use the reversing contactor, much safer.
Depends on the converter I would think? Is it a VFD?

You can use a vfd with the fwd/rev contactor or a drum switch with one very important detail Never Ever switch the load while the vfd is outputting to the load.
I have used the inverters on control source to a drum switch but that is controlling the vfd.

I'm trying to wrap my head around how exactly it works. I need to stare sit it some more.

Back