Electrical issue with my mini lathe

Houthans

Registered
Registered
Hi everyone,
I have a PX-210*400 vario mini lathe and that has now stopped working. When I turn the thing on the rev display will flash a number (4789 if memory serves me well) and then go black. The lathe doesn't turn, however. Anyone for any ideas on troubleshooting this or at least narrowing down the range of possible causes?
Many thanks in advance,
Hans

Hi Hans- is this a brush-type motor or brushless? Brush motors usually have only two wires whereas brushless have several or two bundles
with multiple wires; brush-type thyristor controllers are simpler and can sometimes be repaired, often without a schematic diagram.
Brushless PWM types are more complex.
Check this website- there is some basic troubleshooting information that might be helpful:
www.olduhfguy.com

As soon as you are able to post pictures try to take one of the lathe and if possible, the controller board
Unfortunately some of these import machines have poor quality motors which can short out and take the controller with them.
The controller board is sometimes available on Ebay, but without a schematic diagram it's a gamble trying to fix them
Check for blown fuses first

Last edited:
Take a look at the owner's manual for your lathe. It may have a troubleshooting section.

Thanks, I'll open it up, check the internals and get back to you.

Here's the motor. I'm 99% certain it's the brushes. The axis is solid in the motor and the brushes don't come out anymore. I guess this means a new motor? There are no markings whatsoever on the motor, so does anyone know where I can get a20231121_092202.jpg replacement or can this still be repaired?

Hi Hans,

I've had similar problems in the past with my Holzmann ED300FD lathe. In my case the motor started to "jump" when I started the lathe and shortly after it got hot and blew the fuses on the lathe. In my case I had 2 faults: The main circuit board seemed to be faulty and my motor melted the plastic brush holders.

You can try the following: Remove the motor from the metal plate and open the motor (the 2 long screws). Take the motor apart so you can see the brushes. Then you can check if the brushes are OK.

I then contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a new motor and in a second step (after the new motor also got hot) a new circuit board. But the new motor was still getting hot.

I finally swallowed the bitter pill and invested in an industrial motor with a frequency converter.

Best regards and good luck with your lathe
Robert

Ok, I'll see whether I can take it apart and fix this. I'll keep you posted.

The motor may be fixable- see if the brushes are stuck or there is a bad bearing
You can test it apart from the lathe with a car battery or cordless tool battery- it should run slowly, but run

Last edited:
I'm afraid I will need to disassemble the motor. I've just tried to remove one of the brushes and I was able to remove the spring only. The brush itself (or what's left of it) is stuck inside the motor. This probably also explains why the shaft is completely stuck.

Back