Electrical issue with my mini lathe

Excellent. I came across this 230v servo motor with VFD that seems good enough. What do you think? The only thing is that the diameter of the shaft is different, so I'll first need to find someone who has - you guessed it - access to a lathe to widen the hole in the pulley.

Ad listing says sold out- you might have to wait. Vevor has had numerous quality complaints- check the guarantee/warranty if any

I do no know your lathe so cannot say much about power/torque etc. But the Keyway will probably have to be reworked as well after the hole is enlarged on the pulley. Perhaps just another pulley designed for this motor would be easier?

Thanks for these observations. I've gotten in touch with a company that imports a similar lathe and asked them for a new motor and electronics. Haven't heard from them.

Aaaand an update in this regard. The motor is running. Careful sanding of the commutator and brushes has resulted in a motor that is slowly turning when connected to a 12v battery. However, the electronics are still a problem. When I connect everything, I see a figure light up in in the rev counter display (14xx) and nothing happens. Did I get my wiring wrong? Some of the connectors are really loose so they came off as soon as I opened it up.

Amadeal in the UK sell that lathe (they call it the AMABL210).

Give them a ring. I would think they should be able to source you a new motor and/or controller board.

Most likely the controller was damaged at some point when the motor started burning up
You might check to see if a fuse has blown

Looks like the controller is messed up indeed. Unfortunately, the supplier of the lathe no longer exists and the similar lathe that is still sold over here. I haven't heard back from Amadeal yet, so I may need to start looking for an alternative. Does anyone know of any good (servo)motors that may fit and be suitable? All I know at this moment is that I need a 10mm shaft, that the old motor was a 750 watts unit and I have the pattern for bolting the motor to the lathe, but I have no idea of the rpm-range and what the torque would need to be. Many thanks in advance!

Hey Hans,

sorry to hear that the controller board is messed up. You could try to contact other European suppliers that sell mini lathes (e.g. Holzmann, Paulimot, Optimum, HBM) and try to purchase a motor and controller board from them.

As I said earlier, you could also try for a sewing machine servo. As said earlier, in the German forum Zerspanungsbude are several threads for this type of motor. Here is a thread where people adapted this type of servo to their machine. Imho, you will have to change the bolting pattern of the motor and the pulley in any case, unless you get a new original motor. To change the bore of the pulley you could turn the chuck by hand. It is not convenient, but it will do the job. For the keyway you could file that to the size needed, improvise this on your lathe (fix the chuck in place) or ask someone in your area to help you with that.

For the RPM-Range needed: Measure the pulley sizes you have right now. For my Holzmann ED300FD it was like "0" to 1250 and "0" to 2500, depending on the pulleys used. With that you can easily calculate how fast the motor must turn.

When I changed the motor for my lathe I turned 3 new pulleys to fit the speed range to my new motor (and the bigger V-belts). Luckily the old motor could be used for ~5 minutes before it got hot and had to cool down. If you want I can upload some photos of how I mounted the new motor. But it might be a few days before my little son lets me go to the workshop.

This might be worth taking a look at. I don't think it has an RPM output though.

Back