Electrical motor for a meat grinder

Do you know how far the cutting plate with holes could protrude out and contact the nut? I have a picture being sent of the whole assembly later today.

I don't think that dimension is super critical. The plate just needs to protrude far enough that the nut contacts it before bottoming out on the housing.

Well what i was thinking is if i made a thicker bushing that would make the plate stick out farther and then tighten the nut of the casing until it was tight would that be fine or should it only stick out a little bit to compress and tighten against

I don’t currently have it. It is at another members house. We have some spare plates that we need to drill holes in and sharpen and fit to the housing. As far as sharpening/polishing the plate and blade, would going up to a 1600 grit emery be overdoing it?
We surface the grinder plates we sharpen to 80 grit with friable White grinder wheels
It is of utmost importance that a freshly sharpened grinder knife be mated with a freshly sharpened grinder plate , this ensures a mating surface that wears equally. Failure to provide mating surfaces will result in poor grinding, overworking the product, and significantly raising the temperature-affecting the color, flavor, and appearance of the product.

Do you know how far the cutting plate with holes could protrude out and contact the nut? I have a picture being sent of the whole assembly later today.

The member who use to do all of the grinding passed away 2 years ago so we are in the dark with it. We have asked another guy that did butchering for a living but it is nice to get more information from multiple people.
About.125-.250” should suffice

Last edited:
Well what i was thinking is if i made a thicker bushing that would make the plate stick out farther and then tighten the nut of the casing until it was tight would that be fine or should it only stick out a little bit to compress and tighten against
Six of one,, half dozen of the other- as long as the feedscrew gets longer-that’s all that matters-i suppose

i have grinder plates in stock, I’m sure I could donate one or two to the cause if i got it

I was thinking of using a granite surface plate to polish the plate and the knife. What material are the plates made from cast iron correct? I was wondering if it would be easy to make a new one or not. I can go and get some dimensions of the plates and see what i have. I know we have some plates that need to be machined to fit into the assembly as well as 2 blades plus the original which is significantly worn down.

the old style knives were cast iron or tool steel

i could sharpen what you have into matched sets, if you'd wanna go that route

The member who use to do all of the grinding passed away 2 years ago so we are in the dark with it. We have asked another guy that did butchering for a living but it is nice to get more information from multiple people.

This is why we need to document everything we do. Even simple things are important.

Back