Electrolysis, and cast iron.

This is all very interesting to me. I'm going to have to give it a try sometime.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I'll get it up and running, then look to make the missing parts.
I'll have to make or convert the horizontal arbor myself, the taper is a B.E.S.A (British Engineering Standards Association) Taper, I've never seen or heard of it before
For the power feed shaft, I'm looking at a steering column universal joint/shaft
Cheers

Those parts should be straightforward to replace...

I'll get it up and running, then look to make the missing parts.
I'll have to make or convert the horizontal arbor myself, the taper is a B.E.S.A (British Engineering Standards Association) Taper, I've never seen or heard of it before
For the power feed shaft, I'm looking at a steering column universal joint/shaft
Cheers
Don't know that much about your side of the pond, but here in 'murrica there are shops that specialize in making automotive, big truck, and other drive shafts. All you really need to tell or show them are the connections on both ends and the minimum and maximum length required. Then they make it. These guys are machinists and can make parts or modify off the shelf parts to fit your needs. It might also be a good idea to let them know the maximum offset of the two connections so they can confirm that the components they use will allow enough shaft angle and will telescope enough to do the job.

Yeah I saw that on the Pallas area of the lathe.co.uk site too and thought the same thing.
I just checked the Machinery's Handbook and it's not in there (that I could find).
I'll check a couple more references and post back if I find anything......

-brino

I looked as well. Nothing. Does not seem to exist on the web. Hopefully Brino is smarter than I am and can find something useful for you... Does Tony at Lathes.com answer email questions?

Hi Trevor, after some Google Ninja I found an old 'American Machinist' article* mentioning that the B.E.S.A (forerunner of the BSI) standardised on Morse and Brown & Sharpe tapers in the 19-teens answer twenties for mill and drill tooling, try a rough homebrew gauge turned on the lathe to see which it might be?

Dave H. (the other one)

* on 'galleyrack. Com' the search was "British engineering standards association taper"

Thanks, I'd appreciate that, Thanks

Yeah I saw that on the Pallas area of the lathe.co.uk site too and thought the same thing.
I just checked the Machinery's Handbook and it's not in there (that I could find).
I'll check a couple more references and post back if I find anything......

-brino

I'll look at the vertical head that was on the mill when I bought it, and measure that when I get a moment..Thanks

Hi Trevor, after some Google Ninja I found an old 'American Machinist' article* mentioning that the B.E.S.A (forerunner of the BSI) standardised on Morse and Brown & Sharpe tapers in the 19-teens answer twenties for mill and drill tooling, try a rough homebrew gauge turned on the lathe to see which it might be?

Dave H. (the other one)

* on 'galleyrack. Com' the search was "British engineering standards association taper"

RE: BESA tapers
I still have some searches going on my collected reference material, but so far no luck......

this link: http://www.stationary-engine.net/forum/archive/index.php?t-19571.html
says:
Every mag I have handled with a taper spindle, has a BESA taper...even the French used this standard. Never stated in degrees, the slope of the taper is 1 in 10, regardless of taper size..

I'll keep looking.
-brino

EDIT: and another Pallas mill thread here: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=77816
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?t=77816

Back