electronic lead screw

Maybe better just to use the lathe as intended? Change gears on mine not too hard to set up, I just have to put up w back gear noise/clatter.
Besides, how many of us are cutting threads all day?
Normal everyday use has not been a problem so far. I'm taking pretty deep, fast cuts on aluminum with no issues. The only time I've seen any anomalies is when I was cutting 8tpi Acme threads in 1144 Stressproof with a cheap Chinese carbide insert and it was digging in. I actually stalled the spindle and slipped the belt a couple of times, which would be no different with change gears. I took a couple more turns on the belt tension screw and then thought that it hung slightly a couple of times, but didn't stall long enough to error out the stepper drive (which takes a little less than a quarter turn on the motor shaft). With the belt tightened, the lower ratio and a stouter motor I've got a good feeling about how it will perform, even in steel. I think it will be a pretty good match with the power the lathe has.

Normal everyday use has not been a problem so far. I'm taking pretty deep, fast cuts on aluminum with no issues. The only time I've seen any anomalies is when I was cutting 8tpi Acme threads in 1144 Stressproof with a cheap Chinese carbide insert and it was digging in. I actually stalled the spindle and slipped the belt a couple of times, which would be no different with change gears. I took a couple more turns on the belt tension screw and then thought that it hung slightly a couple of times, but didn't stall long enough to error out the stepper drive (which takes a little less than a quarter turn on the motor shaft). With the belt tightened, the lower ratio and a stouter motor I've got a good feeling about how it will perform, even in steel. I think it will be a pretty good match with the power the lathe has.
Late night 4 U? Wasnt expecting a reply till late tonight. . Whats your local time?
Whats the HP of your lathe? Am quite surprised by ur last statement! Well done indeed. And all on the existing smaller 2 Nm nema 23 stepper?

Late night 4 U? Wasnt expecting a reply till late tonight. . Whats your local time?
Whats the HP of your lathe? Am quite surprised by ur last statement! Well done indeed. And all on the existing smaller 2 Nm nema 23 stepper?
Oh, it's 6:30pm here in New Mexico. As for the match between the ELS and lathe, that's a fairly low bar since the lathe only has a 1/2hp motor. That's still more than sufficient to break things in lower gears when there is no clutch, so having limited feed torque available is kind of a "feature."

It's after midnight there in Oz, isn't it?

Briney Eye, did you find a source for the CL57T tuning software? I tried using the Leadshine software but it only recognizes their products.

Oh, it's 6:30pm here in New Mexico. As for the match between the ELS and lathe, that's a fairly low bar since the lathe only has a 1/2hp motor. That's still more than sufficient to break things in lower gears when there is no clutch, so having limited feed torque available is kind of a "feature."
Mines a 550lb 1 HP lathe, no VSD/VFD yet.
So I may end up needing a. ..Nm servo?
If ur needing a 3.4Nm then mine 6Nm servo?

Briney Eye, did you find a source for the CL57T tuning software? I tried using the Leadshine software but it only recognizes their products.
It's been months, but I think it was a version of the Leadshine Protuner software for their CS-something(?) motors. I remember trying more than one version before I found one that would talk to it. It was klunky and hard to understand, but things might have gotten better since.

Mines a 550lb 1 HP lathe, no VSD/VFD yet.
So I may end up needing a. ..Nm servo?
If ur needing a 3.4Nm then mine 6Nm servo?
I will try to provide some kind of answer to that question in the next few days. Assuming that you would be driving through your gearbox, you would have some leeway by virtue of the ratio selection available there. Work backward from the maximum pulse rate that the ELS could output and scale things from there. You will always have a practical limit on how fast you can spin the leadscrew. I detect when I can't keep up and show an error, or the driver itself shuts down. I just tested it and with the lathe running at 210rpm (no load) I was able to get to 5 1/2 tpi before the driver itself crapped out. It would be sooner with the half nuts engaged, but it would be trying to move the carriage about 40 inches per minute. When that happens I have to turn it off for a minute to reset. Must be a thermal protection circuit. So far it's always come back. So far.

Back