electronic lead screw

Today I was making torque and force measurements on my G0602 lathe. To measure torque, I made a 3" pulley to fit on the lead screw input shaft. I wrapped several turns of some light cord, one end secured through a small hole in the pulley and the other end with a loop to attach a 20 lb. digital scale. The scale reading times the 1.5" radius will be the applied torque in lb.-in. and will measure torque from 0 to 30 lb.-in. or 480 oz.-in.. On the other end, I anchored one side a 50 lb. digital scale to the tailstock and the other side to the carriage.

I had previously decided to use the 2:1 gear reduction in the gear box. My first measurement was of the torque required to turn the lead screw. There was some stiction on startup and some variability in the readings but the dynamic torque ranged between 5 and 10 oz.-in. Next was with the half nuts engaged but no load. Here was a bit of a surprise. The required torque was 91 oz.-in. Considering that the stepper that I am using has a torque of around 300 oz.-in. at 350 rpm, that is a lot of overhead.

After some investigation I discovered that the half nuts had a death grip on the lead screw with the additional friction causing the large torque requirement. Clearly, what I needed to do was to limit the travel of the half nut cam. I pulled the apron, prepared to put some sort of a shim in and discovered that there was an M6 threaded hole directly below the thread dial which exited at the face of the half nut cam when the half nuts were closed. Two M6 sets screws, one for the adjustment and the second as a lock, and I have my adjustable stop. With set screws in place, the amount of backlash increased by about 3 thou. The measured torque with the half nuts engaged and no load was 38 oz.-in.. I

t was interesting to find the threaded hole as I can think of no other reason for it other than my use. The set screw(s) are not on the BOM so it isn't a case of parts missed in manufacturing.

Next was to measure torque with a load. I put the 50 lb. scale in place and engaged the lead screw. At 50 lbs. of force working against the carriage travel, I measured 91 oz.-in. of torque. Given that 38 oz.-on. is due to the frictional losses, that nets out at 53 oz.-in. or approximately an oz.-in. of torque for each lb. of resisting force. Assuming that I really do have 300 pz.-in of available torque, I should net out at around 250 lbs. of available force at the carriage.

So, it might be time to edit it in; /usr/share/misc/units.lib
is the place and
grad .0025 turn
under "/ dimensionless" heading, is the line to add.

If memory serves, French artillery and HP-34c calculators also support that unit.
So 1 grad = 0.9 degrees of rotation?

Today I was making torque and force measurements on my G0602 lathe. To measure torque, I made a 3" pulley to fit on the lead screw input shaft. I wrapped several turns of some light cord, one end secured through a small hole in the pulley and the other end with a loop to attach a 20 lb. digital scale. The scale reading times the 1.5" radius will be the applied torque in lb.-in. and will measure torque from 0 to 30 lb.-in. or 480 oz.-in.. On the other end, I anchored one side a 50 lb. digital scale to the tailstock and the other side to the carriage.

I had previously decided to use the 2:1 gear reduction in the gear box. My first measurement was of the torque required to turn the lead screw. There was some stiction on startup and some variability in the readings but the dynamic torque ranged between 5 and 10 oz.-in. Next was with the half nuts engaged but no load. Here was a bit of a surprise. The required torque was 91 oz.-in. Considering that the stepper that I am using has a torque of around 300 oz.-in. at 350 rpm, that is a lot of overhead.

After some investigation I discovered that the half nuts had a death grip on the lead screw with the additional friction causing the large torque requirement. Clearly, what I needed to do was to limit the travel of the half nut cam. I pulled the apron, prepared to put some sort of a shim in and discovered that there was an M6 threaded hole directly below the thread dial which exited at the face of the half nut cam when the half nuts were closed. Two M6 sets screws, one for the adjustment and the second as a lock, and I have my adjustable stop. With set screws in place, the amount of backlash increased by about 3 thou. The measured torque with the half nuts engaged and no load was 38 oz.-in.. I

t was interesting to find the threaded hole as I can think of no other reason for it other than my use. The set screw(s) are not on the BOM so it isn't a case of parts missed in manufacturing.

Next was to measure torque with a load. I put the 50 lb. scale in place and engaged the lead screw. At 50 lbs. of force working against the carriage travel, I measured 91 oz.-in. of torque. Given that 38 oz.-on. is due to the frictional losses, that nets out at 53 oz.-in. or approximately an oz.-in. of torque for each lb. of resisting force. Assuming that I really do have 300 pz.-in of available torque, I should net out at around 250 lbs. of available force at the carriage.
I was reluctant to say that motor tuning may not provide the extra torque U were chasing.
But again a gulf of 450 - 500 lb may still exist, ref Briney figures.
Thankyou RJ for this yardstick provided

Hope you can do a live test at 8 tpi in 20 or 40 ton steel, middle of the road depth of cuts..
I'd be interested in the carriage travel rate u set in that senario

I was reluctant to say that motor tuning may not provide the extra torque U were chasing.
But again a gulf of 450 - 500 lb may still exist, ref Briney figures.
Thankyou RJ for this yardstick provided
Yesterday, I tried unsuccessfully to use the Leadshine tuning software on my StepperOnline driver. Unfortunately, the software only talks to Leadshine drivers. My driver has an autotune feature but I wanted to see what was set for drive current and idle current. I sent an e-mail to StepperOnline asking where I can find their software.

My power supply is actually a 48 volt supply which was reset to 36 volts by the manufacturer. I was able to boost the voltage to 42 volts with the voltage adjust pot. Any further increase will no doubt involve changing a Zener reference diode or voltage divider. 42 volts will give me a 6 volt cushion for back EMF. According to Leadshine a safe operating range for the power supply is between 10% above minimum and 10% below maximum driver voltage which would be 43 volts. Tomorrow, I'll have a go at trying the changes.

Last edited:
For tomorrow's test, I won't reflash the firmware so I an 8 tpi thread will actually be 16 tpi at the lead screw and a.0040"/rev. feed will be .020" due to my 2:1 gear reduction. The other area that I want to look at is low feed rates. I had noticed some erratic movement before and I want to see if it has improved. If everything looks good, I'll reflash the firmware.

16 tpi sounds good.
Just finished documenting my auto feed rates avail on my lathe, a subject not related to threading, altho, using a stepper/servo via the gearbox enables normal lathe usage of the autofeed as well as threading. And therefore providing some crash safety too.
Autofeed rates on mine from slowest, with backgears, 60 rpm spindle, @ 0.2''/minute (0.0034''/Rev)
Thru to 3+ metres a minute (or 119.66''),
@ 1240 rpm.

16 tpi sounds good.
Just finished documenting my auto feed rates avail on my lathe, a subject not related to threading, altho, using a stepper/servo via the gearbox enables normal lathe usage of the autofeed as well as threading. And therefore providing some crash safety too.
Autofeed rates on mine from slowest, with backgears, 60 rpm spindle, @ 0.2''/minute (0.0034''/Rev)
Thru to 3+ metres a minute (or 119.66''),
@ 1240 rpm.
Autofeeds quoted are Z travel.

OK All hooked up and testing went well. No hitch in the gitalong at feed of .0005"/rev. @ 170 rpm or 580 rpm or at .063"/rev @ 580 rpm. I cut a 3/8 16 thread (the coarsest possible with my current parameters) in hot rolled with .020" depth of cut on the first two passes without any issues. Next, I turned some 1.5" steel, first at .063", 010" doc. When I ran into the shoulder where the depth of cut would be about .05", the lathe stalled but the stepper didn't error out.

I reflashed the Launchpad to account for the 2:1 gearing that I added to the drive train. I redefined my lead screw pitch to 24 tpi rather than the actual 12 tpi to compensate for the gearing. A quick check shows that the setting is correct.

One question that I have is what is the action the controller takes when it receives an alarm signal? The driver output goes high on a fault.

The answers will be in the code, but given that he hasn't said, I'd guess "nothing", or maybe the LED turns on. Probably just a stub in the code for now.

Back