electronic lead screw

I'd prefer for my lathe ELS software to be stable, and not need to be updated years later because some phone library was no longer valid. I do agree that user interfaces are hard, and I don't want something like the popular ELS that uses a $2 LED display/button board with severe limitations and lack of flexibility. Better interfaces are possible these days with a rotary encoder knob (or two) and a graphical display and in this case perhaps a dedicated switch or two (even better than a phone interface). Once it works, lay in a few spare parts and only touch it if you want to improve it. At some point it is done and no further changes are needed, and it keeps working till the hardware breaks. So while a phone interface is neat, I don't think I want one on my lathe, but that's just me. :)

My 3D printers do have wireless interfaces, and that's fine because someone else is maintaining it, I don't have to hack the code every few years to keep it working. If the hackers were to get in they could overheat a heater or send a little motor past the limits, but that's hardly comparable to what they could do with a 2hp lathe ELS. Scary thought.

There are some Pico boards that have Wifi etc. Perhaps even using an ESP32. If that is needed it is best offloaded to separate processors. :)
I seriously doubt a hacker is going to the bother of hacking a hobbyist's lathe when they can hack Elon's Tesla and drive him to prison or into a wall instead... just sayin. :p I also cannot concur with your criticism of the simple LCD and encoder options. Properly implemented with the right choice of controller they can be powerful tools. I just haven't seen that done enough.

Most people building a simple ELS controller for threading would be well advised to keep it simple with their hardware options except for their controller.

For example, my friend and I collaborated on a ESP32 based multi-mode (milling, drilling, turning, sanding, and counter) tachometer and machining calculator that cost sub $10 to make, uses LCD display and a single EC11 encoder for data selection and input. What makes it special is the memory capacity and the use of look up tables for data input. Ultra fast selection from vast arrays of data for materials, cutters and dimensions. For instance, the user does not enter 12.125" by scrolling thru five places and selecting the appropriate integer for each place. The user selects data progressing thru sub menus for mode, material, tool, and then scrolls thru dimension just by turning the encoder wheel to the correct value from a table. More on that in a minute.

To start, the uses enters set-up routine which is stored in non-volatile memory. The user can select metric or imperial, and the number of pulses per rotation, ie the number of magnets or slots in their selected sensor mounted to their machine, this allows flexibility in sensor mounting options and calculator sensitivity.

The device measures the spindle speed based intervals between pulses for faster returns, and by default the device then displays the calculated RPM. If selected, the device then further calculates the optimal surface feet per minute and feed rates based user inputs for material being machined and the selected tool. The user toggles between these views with a simple push on the encoder wheel.

Data input is currently split between tables of typical dimension ranges based on the operational mode and user input of data from external printed charts for recommended surface feet per minute and chip loads. However we're just in the process of converting external charts into look-up tables to be stored in onboard memory. This enhanced data input method is faster, cleaner, and cheaper than anything else possible.
Thanks ESP32 for adding the memory to make this capability viable.

Selection goes like this: Mode <scroll, push > Lathe. Material <scroll, push> Steel <scroll, push> Non-alloyed <scroll, push> 1045. Tool <scroll, push> insert <scroll, push> size. These choices then populate the fields to perform speed and feed calculations. Encoder wheels can be powerful input devices in the hands of a knowledgeable programmer.

KISS and keep it cheap, and utterly reliable and fast to use. This is V1:

1679162871353.png

V2 features layout for improved ergonomics and cable management.

1679163555059.png

To accomplish the best end result for their ELS project, people really need to solidly define what you project goals are. Are you making an ELS or a smart lathe? Then research and understand well the hardware and software choices.

I'm come right out and say, I was not enamoured with clough42's ELS because for it's targeted purpose it is is overly complicated, uses less than ideal hardware choices for the larger audience, and appears to me to be designed more to create youtube channel content than for helping the masses fix a gaping issue with Chinese mini-lathes, that being that they suck for threading.

I dont have a mini-lathe, I have a Precision Colchester Chipmaster lathe. I want to convert it to a smart lathe that retains all the feel and functionality of a manual lathe. So I haven't attempted to design an ELS for the masses, but as a designer, my opinion is that people who do should ensure that aside from the stepper motors and mounting, the controller itself should be as simple, easy and inexpensive as possible relying on readily available parts. Just ask why the auto sector still uses aged chips few others would consider.

Oh and make it open source naturally. You can still sell completed boards and cases to make it semi-plug and play for people with various lathes and still make some money if you wish.

If someone wants to send me a terrible mini-lathe I'd have the impetuous to design an ELS as I describe to solve this one simple issue with mini-lathes for dirt cheap.

Your choices are very similar to what my friend recommended, so I'll likely be in touch about collaborating. If your project is well advanced then I dont see a need to duplicate efforts. If rocketronics was slightly different and had imperial I'd likely not want to make my own, but my friend and I are both fans of open source.
anyway, back to reading your thread
This thread starts to become interesting.
Have you started anything in this direction ? Any link to a thread or something ?
Myself too i am interested in making an ELS for my lathe and honestly, after i read an compare everything i could find on internet, still looking for that ... best of the best ELS, to incorporate all the functions needed (threading, turning, sphere mode, cone mode) and be open source too.
Many ELS out there have nice good features, like the Rocketronics or the russian ELS builded on MEGA 2560 or the spanish ELS builded on Arduino DUE and many others, but im not yet convinced .
I think that, if would be one version to combine all those in a single one, then would be interesting.
By the way, that tachometer looks nice, is there any link to that build ?
Best regards

This thread starts to become interesting.
Have you started anything in this direction ? Any link to a thread or something ?
Myself too i am interested in making an ELS for my lathe and honestly, after i read an compare everything i could find on internet, still looking for that ... best of the best ELS, to incorporate all the functions needed (threading, turning, sphere mode, cone mode) and be open source too.
Many ELS out there have nice good features, like the Rocketronics or the russian ELS builded on MEGA 2560 or the spanish ELS builded on Arduino DUE and many others, but im not yet convinced .
I think that, if would be one version to combine all those in a single one, then would be interesting.
By the way, that tachometer looks nice, is there any link to that build ?
Best regards
My plans are on hold, since my brother's new lathe has separate lead and feed screws which would require a rethink.

plus I have 1000 projects on the go and an trying to knock off the highest priority of them over the next 3 months

My lathe also has a gearbox and separate lead and feed drives. That should not be too hard to handle, it just takes a different set of fractions for each activity and gearbox setting. So it complicates the UI a bit. In my case the cross feed has a different rate than the longitudinal feed as well. Depending on the settings and gear ratios the RPM limits will be different, as will the available torque. So part of the interface will be to advise the operator of the best settings and limitations thereof.

My plans are on hold, since my brother's new lathe has separate lead and feed screws which would require a rethink.

plus I have 1000 projects on the go and an trying to knock off the highest priority of them over the next 3 months
Well, one of my lathes also had feed rod and leadscrew, but was an easy fix.
I took both out, put an C5 grade 2005 ballscrew with DFU2005 double nut. I took the gearbox out completely, put a NEMA34 8NM on the ballscrew and Z axis is now done. X axis is work in progress, but will be same process ... will take out completely the apron with the leadscrew and put a ballscrew with NEMA34 4NM.
By the way, this is on a Sieg X10, pretty much similar with a PM 1228VF lathe. Until i will finish with the X axis and also install telescopic covers for bed way, plus the DRO ... i have plenty times to decide for electronics. More or less i wanna put something with 2 manual MPG for X and Z, because the handweels will go out.
So if i wont find anything , will use the russian ELS as a base for software and modify it for an STM32F4 with a 5 inch touchscreen.
This sounds like your 1000 projects to do .... not counting the electronics for my mill, who also waits to be CNC-ed.
But hey, all this is fun, especially when you're retired and have not much else to do, right ?

PS: sorry for my poor gramma, english is'nt my native language, i've learn it back in the days when was programming for Z80 with assembler.
Best regards from France and good luck with your projects also.

Welcome Oxidez!

Sounds like it's only a few microns to full CNC? Why stop there??

I found something interesting with my ELS. I was not quite as accurate as I would have liked. To find out what was going on I installed an inexpensive DRO. When the ELS is done moving the carriage and comes to a stop if I jiggle the carriage handle I will pop into place with up to a 0.1mm amount of shift and a .02mm repeatability. Once snapped into place it holds in that position. It seems that with 200 steps/revolution and a 2 mm thread I should snap into about 0.01mm. I do not understand the 0.1mm unless it has something to do with the backlash on half nut.

Welcome Oxidez!

Sounds like it's only a few microns to full CNC? Why stop there??
Well, a CNC lathe or mill, is usefull for someone who does production. For a hobby use, i believe that a electronic controlled lathe or mill, to make some small jobs, is perfect. Imagine i just wanna turn a cylinder from 20mm to 16mm in diameter. Just set the target diameter, number of passes, spring passes, turning length and done. I believe is much more simple then doing the Gcode and the rest.
Same goes if wanna do just some simple operations, like facing, tapers, sphere, ball turning. Most of the things that a hobby user could need.
Thats my goal. Not a full CNC. And like i said, this will make everything much more interesting and fun to use.

I found something interesting with my ELS. I was not quite as accurate as I would have liked. To find out what was going on I installed an inexpensive DRO. When the ELS is done moving the carriage and comes to a stop if I jiggle the carriage handle I will pop into place with up to a 0.1mm amount of shift and a .02mm repeatability. Once snapped into place it holds in that position. It seems that with 200 steps/revolution and a 2 mm thread I should snap into about 0.01mm. I do not understand the 0.1mm unless it has something to do with the backlash on half nut.
I have no idea what ELS you using on your lathe, but 4 years ago, i started to look into ELS for lathe and back then the best i could find was the russian ELS based on MEGA 2560. After a short time, i have equipped one of my lathes, a chinese WM210 and started testing. Indeed precision was awful, was having around 0,2 to 0,4 backlash. Solution was simple .... ball screws on Z and on X axis, plus i have changed from open loop to close loop steppers. The result was very impressive ... 0,003 - 0,001 mm on repeatability and very good accuracy. In many cases, my 0,001mm Mitutoyo micrometer was spot on the dimensions i was turning from ELS.
After many tests i did with that ELS, i have observed that passing from 600ppr to 1800ppr on spindle encoder, got me a lot of precision in turning and also threading. Close loop steppers never failed me and no more loosing steps resulted in very nice surface finish and accuracy too.
The way i did all, was a 5mm pitch on ball screws (DFU1605) with 1/5 reduction stepper to ball screw and 1000 micro stepping.
This is how i got to 1 micron precision and was more then i needed as a hobby.

If the system stopped shy of the target position that would generally indicate the available torque was insufficient. Leadscrews have a lot of stiction and friction and thus may require a lot of torque, hence CNC systems generally use ballscrews. Perhaps cleaning and lubrication might be sufficient, or moving to a higher torque stepper or changing belt or gearing ratios. Adjusting the half nuts could also help reduce friction. Converting the Lathe to ballscrews and adding a multidimensional control is more than an ELS, it is really a CNC that uses something other than gcode. Whatever works for the operator is good. Programming is programming, whether gcode or something else.

I'm planning to CNC the mill eventually, but just do an ELS on the lathe. However I find that it generally takes about 3 iterations to finalize a design so that I'm satisfied with it, and in a sense we are in a short production run. I really enjoy the 3d printer's ability to make another copy with changes. The design tools make the gcode so I rarely get into that level of detail. Not being able to easily make another part causes us to either mod the first one or just make do with a less than satisfying design. :)

Last edited:
Back