[4]

Electronic Preset Gauge

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Worthwhile to use? Found one in my toolbox.

P. Waller

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member

kd4gij

Active User
Post a picture of what you have.

kd4gij

Active User
If you have or plan to have a CNC mill that will come in handy.

Boswell

Hobby Machinist since 2010
Use one like all the time to zet my Z-Axis Zero. While I am using a CNC, I don't see why it is not just as useful to set the Z-Axis zero point for manual operations as well.

ddickey

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Yeah, I'll give it a try.
So you touch off with your tool on to the gauge. When the light goes off you look the quill. Then you know you're exactly two inches for the work. Moove the knee up accordingly.?

P. Waller

A tool setter, use it since you already have it, think of if it as a contact edge finder for the Z axis, it is no better or worse then any other method, if you use a good deal of solid carbide mill tooling it will help.

Boswell

Yeah, I'll give it a try.
So you touch off with your tool on to the gauge. When the light goes off you look the quill. Then you know you're exactly two inches for the work. Moove the knee up accordingly.?
You got it.

P. Waller

Use one like all the time to zet my Z-Axis Zero. While I am using a CNC, I don't see why it is not just as useful to set the Z-Axis zero point for manual operations as well.
Many home shop machinists have never used a machine that has no handles or mechanical hand wheels connected to leadscrews and have never experienced the joy of running a tool into the part with a jog button (-:

Boswell

and have never experienced the joy of running a tool into the part with a jog button (-:
I hate to admit it but I am on my 2nd one of these after "Jogging" the wrong direction after touching off. It has quite a lot of spring based movement to allow for that type of mistake but everything has a limit :apologize:.

hman

Active User
Many home shop machinists have never used a machine that has no handles or mechanical hand wheels connected to leadscrews and have never experienced the joy of running a tool into the part with a jog button (-:
Very true. And even with handwheels, there's the possibility of chipping or otherwise damaging the cutting edges of a end mill (especially carbide) - or affecting the surface of the workpiece - when touching off. Here's an article by Rick Sparber (a forum member) illustrating a safe alternative way to get a Z reference:
http://rick.sparber.org/sawsem.pdf
Enjoy!

[6]
[5] [7]