ELS on Mini-Lathe?

I did a few test cuts and everything seems to be working. I tried different feed rates and cut a 1/2-13 thread in Aluminum. A 1/2-13 nut fit on there fine so I must have got the parameters correct in the software.

I'm still trying to determine where to mount the LED display/switch box and how to cover the encoder and motor/pulleys. I might hack up the the old plastic cover since a replacement is only $21 from LMS.

Nice! My motor sticks out the side through a hole I made with a hole saw. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done.

Awesome! I just cut a metric thread on my mini-lathe. I'm really starting to like this ELS from Clough42. I'm able to change the feed rate on the fly to get the best finish. Just push a few buttons!

Same for threading. I could never cut a metric thread on this lathe, but here it is! The pic shows a M8 X 1.25 thread I cut on a piece of Aluminum stock. I know you can't tell, but that's a M8 nut on it.

It does take some adjusting to cutting metric threads. For one, since the lead screw is Imperial, you have to leave the half-nut engaged at all times and reverse the lathe to get back to the start. I did see some tricks by oxtoolco to disengage the half-nut, but it boils down to the same thing. You need to stay in lead screw at the same point.

Also, I had to convert the major diameter and pitch diameters to Imperial since my mic and thread mic are not metric. Also, I had to convert the metric pitch of 1.25 mm to 20.32 TPI so I knew which anvils to put in the thread mic.

But, minor inconveniences to be able to cut metric threads (and Imperial) without messing with a bunch of gears!

IMG_5616.jpg

I'm doing everything I can to make sure everything fits under the hood. Why? I don't know, probably because I have a small 12x12" working area to the left of my lathe I don't want to lose. Anyway, I made a CNC bracket and the stepper motor now live under the center of the head casting. I am a little stuck on the encoder as it mounts with pulley in/ motor side out, just feels a bit ackward. I'm hoping in another week or so Had to ge a new belt for the new location since I didn't go Clough's route on mounting. I'm a bit surprised he never changed his positions as he said in the video they were temp. I mean that NOGA mag mount for the encoder. That's a shortcut for someone like me...not him.

I'm completely done with this project. Hurray!

I hacked up the cover to accommodate the motor and rotary encoder. It's not the neatest job, but it works. I used my Dremel on the squarish motor opening and my boring head to cut the circular opening for the rotary encoder. I really wanted to cover the pulleys and belt which this accomplishes. I thought the pulley would be rubbing on the back (front?) of the case, but it seems to clear it.

I mounted the LED display/switch box on the wood stand facing up. Not my ideal choice because of chips landing on it, but I couldn't figure out a better spot. I covered it was plastic wrap to keep the chips at bay. This is the same think I did for my keyboard on my CNC mill. It's not elegant, but it works!

Onto another project!!!

IMG_5617.jpg

The last step I have is to mount the encoder...I am seeing that wobble you speak of @devils4ever It looks like the grub screw that tightens the gt2 pulley to encoder shaft is the culprit. It seems to pull it slightly off center when tightened. Though I'm not direct mounting, this problem still exists. TBH I find it in the pulley for stepper as well. I would like to mount it like @kb58 suggested, free floating. Unfortunately, every design I can come up with is too complicated. This isn't the space shuttle. Could someone make one and send it to me? I'll be napping on the couch :p
That lazy magnetic one of Clough's is starting to look more appealing!

Are you using pulleys for both the rotary encoder and the stepper motor? If so, I wouldn't think you would see any wobble. I only saw it on the encoder when it was directly mounted.

I cut a 1/2-13 thread in 1018 steel to see how the ELS would do. I figured this would be a harder test than Aluminum. Plus, 13 TPI is making the motor spin much faster. I really like the ability to adjust the feed rate when cutting down to major diameter to get the best finish. I can start faster and then when nearing the end of the cut, I can slow down. For the final passes, I can really slow down the feed rate (to 0.001") to get a nice finish.

And when cutting the thread, push a few buttons. No more gears!

IMG_5624.jpg

I've been contemplating getting the ELS for my BL-250G lathe and I have to say, this thread does make a very convincing argument for it. :grin:
Great job on the installation, looks really neat.

Back