Emco-Compact 8 lead screw question

Steve-F

Registered
Registered
While I'm trying to resurrect my lathe from the bits and pieces I have , I do not understand the lead screw. It appears that there is no drive system, just the hand crank feature at one end. Has mine been modified? Maybe a different model? How does yours appear to be put together? I have a Bridgeport table drive I will adapt to it if need be , I really want the power carriage feed to work, one way or the other:<)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Resized_20210421_043135.jpeg
    Resized_20210421_043135.jpeg
    398.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Resized_20210421_043327.jpeg
    Resized_20210421_043327.jpeg
    416.8 KB · Views: 31
While I don't have the hand wheel on the end there is a drive on the spindle end.

Attachments

• feed2.jpg
    feed2.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 24
Thank you pmzielinski! It appears mine has been "shortened" I guess?

Maybe someone adapted a screw from another machine. It may not even be metric, need to check that
The parts situation is so scarce I would not be surprised

Thanks Mark, that's a excellent idea...I will get it to work one way or the other, metric or not, it just needs to feed as I have none of the threading gears anyways:<(

While I'm trying to resurrect my lathe from the bits and pieces I have , I do not understand the lead screw. It appears that there is no drive system, just the hand crank feature at one end. Has mine been modified?

The Compact 8, as originally configured, uses the half nuts as a saddle power feed. There is no slot and key like other lathes. Yours has definitely been modified and to restore it properly, you need a replacement leadscrew and the complete gear train in the headstock. The gear that is attached to and drives the leadscrew is turned by the other gears that are linked to the spindle so if you want power feed, you must rebuild the gear train and find a replacement leadscrew. You must also have working half nuts.

Again, ebay is your best bet. Pro Machine Tools might be another resource if they can get you the Chinese equivalents. When parts turn up on ebay, they will go fast. Make a list of the parts you need and jump when you see them. Getting them is more important than cost.

None of this is difficult but you must find the parts. It will be worth it because this is a fine little lathe.

Thanks mikey! That is what it looked like to me too and the half nuts are in working order. I will adapt to the shaft I have till something else comes along:<) You are right, I love this lathe!

When you buy your parts, get a spare set of half nuts if you can find them. These are wear items and will wear before the leadscrew does. Also be sure the bearing blocks on each end of the bed that supports the leadscrew are in good shape; if they are worn, the leadscrew will move around and that's not good.

I was thinking of copying them in a bronze material as they fine now and having them for a backup set just for that reason!

You should get a copy of a manual also. Should be available in ebay aswell. There are parts pictures that are pretty clear and most of the stuff can be determined from them. All the parts numbers etc

Back