Enco 12x36 USA made

Wvlarry

Registered
Registered
Have been looking for a lathe for some time, seen ad in local bulletin board paper. Metal lathe 12 x 36 some extras $2500. Called mid December, older gentlemen answered said he was hard hearing 102 years old. Only info I could get from him is that it is like new, and an Enco. Seems little high for an Enco. Last week still listed only now no price. Called Friday same gentleman, still $2500, ground hardened ways, USA made, said he has catalog to back it up. Said he purchased new few years ago, he was a machinist retired after 65 years.
Questions, did enco make lathes in the US, is $2500 a reasonable price. May be able to look at it latter this week. Sorry no pics availabl, bummer.

Don't sound right to me. Enco didn't make their own machines, they were rebranded or contract made. Enco's latest 12x36 offerings were made in China. Generally their older stuff was made in Taiwan but not all depending on what type of machine.

MSC closed Enco in 2016 so his claim being USA made & purchased new a few years ago doesn't add up. Although he could have purchased new as in NOS, just not from Enco (or new remaining stock from MSC), still doubt it's USA made though.

Without seeing it's condition or what model it it is & what it comes with, hard for anyone to really say if that's a good price or not. Do you have any pics you can post?

Unless I’m mistaken, the enco lathes were well made machines , made in Taiwan.

Darkzero, no pics. I will probably try to go look at it later this week. I have been trying to find out more about it on the phone, but just to hard to get him to understand/hear what I am asking. I just hope someone is there with him when I go to look at it. Hard for me to think that he would live alone at his advanced age.

These were the latest 12x36s from Enco, made in China.

Their older green & teal green 12x36s were mostly Taiwan but those were from the 80s (maybe 90s) & older. But they were a different model, headstock is completely different than the one above. If it's a Turn Pro Enco those are Taiwan & are good machines.

If it's a blue China model, doesn't mean you shouldn't consider it as long as you get it for a good price.

Darkzero, thanks for the information. I'm just going to have to go look at it and see what it is and what kind of extras are with it. I do know that some of the extras can drive the price up. If it doesn't snow more tonight, I may try to go look at it tomorrow. I'm scheduled to get covid shot Tuesday, so don't want to plan too much after that yet.

Ulna Doctor, I knew that some of the enco's were made in Taiwan, and some in china. What threw me was the gentleman insisting that he has documentation that it was US made. Being that he is 102 years old, I am trying to be very delicate what I say and how I say it. I was raised to respect my elders, and don't want him to think that I'm trying to disrespect him, or take advantage of him. That is the reason that I hope someone will be there with him.

He may not be too flexible on the price, so just ignore his claim about USA made (it isn't) and see what kind of condition it's in. For 2500 it should be mint and have accessories and chucks
-Mark

Finally got enough time to go look at the lathe. It is an Enco 110-2034 date stamped 1997. Paperwork shows purchased from MSC May 1999. Lathe is Teal Green. Not sure where he got made in USA. Manual clearly said on front People's republic of china. Very clean, and smooth. 3 jaw, 4 jaw, face plate, lattern tool post, 4 way tool post, follow and steady rest, live,& dead centers, drill chuck, change gears, large assortment drill bits with Morse taper, large assortment readers. 2 spiders to clamp on stock spider spins in steady rest, (won't scar gun barrels). Assortment of 36" long drill rod. Very large assortment of steel, aluminum, brass stock. Several dial indicators, large assortment of hss tooling, lot of carbide replacement bits. Also sitting on a very well built wooden cabinet, door under head stock, drawer in center under saddle, 3 drawers under tailstock end. He also has a machinist toolchest that he built, he started showing me it and the contents, only problem he wants 1700 for it. I tried to get a price on the toolchest alone, didn't want to separate. Wasn't able to get any pictures, he was concerned other people seeing what is there and trying to get in and still stuff. Have to respect him for that due to his age. I will probably bite the bullet and go get it Wednesday, if I can borrow a trailer.

It should be a decent machine if made in 1997.

Back