Enco 12x36 USA made

$1700 sounds good for all that. Sounds like a pretty nice lathe.

Edit: oh! $2500 for the lathe and $1700 for the filled tool chest? That isn’t quite so good. Forget about the tool box. Given all the tooling, the lathe seems reasonable, maybe a little high. But around northern Virginia there just isn’t much supply so one has to get lucky.

I’ll probably be selling my 10x22 grizzly soon but that Enco is a lot more lathe.

Sorry for the long delay in post. Finally got time to look at the lathe on Mar 1st, and picked it up on Mar 3rd. Gentleman was very nice to talk to, very knowlegable, but I could not him down on price. Lathes around here are few and far between. Was at an auction it October, Montgomery wards lathe (1964)10x30 sold for $1800. Did not include any chucks, steadyrest, tooling. Did not get any photos of before, or during the move and cleaning. Lathe still had a lot of the cosmoline coating on it. Gentleman changed the motor and put a marathon 1 1/2 hp ( I believe) motor on it. Also built a very heavy and sturdy wood bench for it to sit on. After unloading lathe and taking 2 days to get all of the chains, straps, cribbing, and steel unloaded and sitting in my garage I decided that the bench needed to be painted a much lighter shade of Gray.

Attachments

• IMG_2124.JPG
    IMG_2124.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2131.JPG
    IMG_2131.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2137.JPG
    IMG_2137.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2138.JPG
    IMG_2138.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 52
  • IMG_2139.JPG
    IMG_2139.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2140.JPG
    IMG_2140.JPG
    950.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2141.JPG
    IMG_2141.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2142.JPG
    IMG_2142.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Went to get the lathe day after my 2nd Covid shot, felt really bad, weak, but I told him I would be there. The hardest part was getting all the steel that he gave me from under the bench, and out to my truck. Put in 5 gallon bucket rolled out to truck, and put in boxes, repeat Several trips. The next 2 days my blood pressure was bouncing around 100/70 down to 70/45. After getting everything unloaded from truck went to emergency room, took me off some of my medication then after couple days and seeing my heart dr. It stabilized back to almost normal. Not sure if shot related, or just worked too hard.

Attachments

• IMG_2143.JPG
    IMG_2143.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2144.JPG
    IMG_2144.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2145.JPG
    IMG_2145.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2147.JPG
    IMG_2147.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2148.JPG
    IMG_2148.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2149.JPG
    IMG_2149.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2151.JPG
    IMG_2151.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2150.JPG
    IMG_2150.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Hope you’re doing ok.

I bought this exact lathe in Cleveland about 3 years ago from a industrial surplus place. Got a good price, but it was filthy, no accessories, no change gears, and a banged up stand. After a good clean the lathe was in great condition.

Overall this is an excellent lathe and once I got it tuned in, I could hold tenths on the diameter. Had some trouble with the accuracy of the longitudinal feed so be careful of that. I ended up adding a cheap $200 import DRO and now I don’t look at the longitudinal feed handwheel at all.

Feel free to reach out if you have questions about it. I’ve had the entire thing torn apart and know it pretty well.

-Mike

Welcome to H-M.

Good to hear you're feeling well.

I think you can be comfortable with your purchase. In one month, it looks like, you're set up with a serviceable lathe, a reasonable group of accessories, a sound bench and raw stock at hand.

Happy turning. :grin:

Welcome aboard!
Great looking machine there, hope you are feeling better now!

Been feeling a lot better. Been spending time visiting Dad in hospital rotating every third day with brother and sister due to covid restrictions. Just transferred him yesterday back to another nursing home, now starting another 14 day quarantine.
Mike, thinking about adding a dro to the lathe, probably a bxa tool post first.
Just got the Reilang R003 oil can to oil the ball oilers yesterday. I remember several years ago, (probably 30) that we had several at work that came with new machines. Some mechanics and machine operators didn't like them, said they were too heavy and couldn't tell when they were low on oil so got rid of them. Found 1 in a cabinet Tuesday while looking for a tube of caulking. Didn't tell wife.

The gentleman I bought the lathe from was a tool and die maker in Ohio for 25 years, retired and came back here and worked for Westinghouse as a machinist for 35 years. He did gunsmithing with this lathe. I wished that I had known he had a mill that he had already sold. He still gets around pretty damn good to be 101 years old.

I have a very similar 12X37 model from taiwan (1982). These are excellent lathes - with all that tooling and steel, you did very well. Mine will go for 2600$CDN in a few months (it is spoken for) I'd keep it, but I have no room.

The lathe looks great, you must be so happy to have it. Congrats and keep us updated on your progress with it.

Back