Enco 9x20?

JustTrimitaLittle

Registered
Registered
I’m kind of looking for my first lathe and 2 Enco 110-0820 lathes popped up semi locally. They are older and look dirty but are supposedly in decent shape. Comes with 3 jaw, face plate, follower and steady, change gears and “minimal tooling”. Both on the enco bench. He wants $900 each which seems prettty high. I want to go check them out but if we are way off on value I don’t want to waste his or my time. So what should I be looking at for pricing of one that is all there but needs to be torn down and cleaned up really good?

I realize these aren’t going be top of the line machines but I’m really just looking for something cheap small but capable of cutting steel to learn on.

I keep looking for bigger machines but I have to accept that I just don’t have the space for one. And in reality I don’t think I’d be making anything huge anyways. Anything I have in mind to make is 6” or less.

Thanks for any input.

I have had that model lathe for 15 years and find it very good. it has done everything I needed it to do. Originally I used it, in my small engines/construction tools/air compressor repair. Now I just tinker, build small steam engines, and help neighbors with their mechanical/electrical problems.

I’m pretty sure it’d do 99.9% of everything I’ve been like “man I wish I had a lathe” for. But I’m not so sure of the pricing. It seems like anything around my area is priced way too high. I’m seeing small atlas machines that aren’t even complete (missing motor, tail stock, gears) trying to be sold for $500-$600. And when I ask if they are firm they get real angry. Maybe I’m off in my expectations here…

These machines were just listed yesterday so as of now he’s firm on them. But I just don’t see them going for $900 a piece especially needing to be gone through like they will.

I agree, a little overpriced. But not horribly so. I'm not sure what a fair price would be for your area, but I suspect something in the $750 range would be worth jumping after.

I don't much follow Asian made machines so can't help you with the price but they do seem a bit high.
What I noticed is the change gears.
I would not enjoy looking at charts and swapping gears to switch from turning a piece of brass to facing a piece of stainless or cutting a set of threads.
I would hold out for a lathe with a quick change gear box.

I don't much follow Asian made machines so can't help you with the price but they do seem a bit high.
What I noticed is the change gears.
I would not enjoy looking at charts and swapping gears to switch from turning a piece of brass to facing a piece of stainless or cutting a set of threads.
I would hold out for a lathe with a quick change gear box.
Looks like they have QCGB. Picture of one that I found online.
1712500182269.jpeg

A picture would help a lot, or a link to the listing. I see SB 9s asking more than that.

Sorry I swear I posted pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5263.png
    IMG_5263.png
    533.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5262.png
    IMG_5262.png
    653.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_5264.jpeg
    IMG_5264.jpeg
    806.6 KB · Views: 67
Go with cash and see if you can talk him down a little. You’re not too far off and it’ll be a worthy hobby machine, miles ahead of typical mini lathe capability.

Hard thing will be figuring which of the two you want, if possible buy them both and sell off the one you don’t keep to offset your purchase price. Go look today if possible. They will sell at that price.

John

Sorry I swear I posted pictures.
Pictures do help :)
Not a bad looking little lathe.
I'll bet the extra gears are for metric to Standard or vice versa.
Likely old enough to be Taiwan built and not a China Maid.
I do see what looks like steady and follower rests in the bottom.
Check the voltage on them.

Back