Enco 9x20?

QCGB is a good thing, single tumbler suggests the extra change gears are to extend the range. Sort of a hybrid.
I'd say that the price is decent, go for it.

QCGB is a good thing, single tumbler suggests the extra change gears are to extend the range. Sort of a hybrid.
I'd say that the price is decent, go for it.
I’m going to see if I can go check them out this week if he doesn’t sell them. I’m a bit shy liquidity wise so I needed a few days to dump some stuff I’ve been sitting on due to being lazy. Or tired. Or both.

If they sell that’s ok. I’m not in any particular rush really. I don’t have the space cleared out to use it anyways. It’d just be one more “where did that come from? What is it? Where you gonna put it? ” I occasionally quote Christmas Vacation.

I have pretty much that exact machine. It is essentially the same as a Grizzly G4000, I have used Grizzly parts on my Enco. The G4000 sells for $1200 new +tax and $199 shipping. The stand adds another $315.

This design has been around for 40+ years sold under a variety of brands, Enco, Grizzly, Central Machinery, Jet etc so they are pretty common. I got mine a couple years ago for $300, but that was admittedly a good deal. $500-1000 seems to be pretty common, with the Jet lathes usually selling for a bit more than other brands.

They are a big step above something like the 7x14, but only a few inches longer / deeper. I think they are a nice small lathe option.

The gear box is primarily for the power feed, it will do a few different threads on a set of gears, so potentially you could get lucky and find your most popular threads fit into a set of gears, but you will not get away from change gears.
This is going to be the case with pretty much anything in this size class, you have to go vintage USA or 12" and larger to get a full gear box.

I had the Jet version of that lathe and sold it about 5-6 years ago for $900. I don’t consider that a bad price for that lathe, but not good either. The Grizzly with the stand, shipping and tax is about $1,800, so about 50% of new. That is about what I would consider fair for a used machine in good condition.

It looks like the change gears are there, you will need them for threading. Are those grinding disks he has on the machine in one of those pictures? If so, I would not take it at any price.

I am not seeing a lead screw so you can thread on that machine. No half nut lever on the apron either.

I had the Jet version of that lathe and sold it about 5-6 years ago for $900. I don’t consider that a bad price for that lathe, but not good either. The Grizzly with the stand, shipping and tax is about $1,800, so about 50% of new. That is about what I would consider fair for a used machine in good condition.

It looks like the change gears are there, you will need them for threading. Are those grinding disks he has on the machine in one of those pictures? If so, I would not take it at any price.
I was going to ask about that. What is he using that for? It looks like he has a buffing wheel setup on it and grinding stones under.

I have pretty much that exact machine. It is essentially the same as a Grizzly G4000, I have used Grizzly parts on my Enco. The G4000 sells for $1200 new +tax and $199 shipping. The stand adds another $315.

This design has been around for 40+ years sold under a variety of brands, Enco, Grizzly, Central Machinery, Jet etc so they are pretty common. I got mine a couple years ago for $300, but that was admittedly a good deal. $500-1000 seems to be pretty common, with the Jet lathes usually selling for a bit more than other brands.

They are a big step above something like the 7x14, but only a few inches longer / deeper. I think they are a nice small lathe option.

The gear box is primarily for the power feed, it will do a few different threads on a set of gears, so potentially you could get lucky and find your most popular threads fit into a set of gears, but you will not get away from change gears.
This is going to be the case with pretty much anything in this size class, you have to go vintage USA or 12" and larger to get a full gear box.
To be honest an old usa machine would be my preference. Not really sure why but I’m kind of drawn to older ones.

Are those grinding disks he has on the machine in one of those pictures? If so, I would not take it at any price.
I also have owned a HFT Central version of the same lathe for 7-8yrs now. It was the last guys project to completely trick it out. There are several websites dedicated to this lathe and how set it up and mod to the 9’s. So it had all the change gears in metal and plastic. 5” 3jw, 6” 4jw, 4” 3jw QCTP and several holders and tooling but no stand and was basically brand new with original cosmolene for $650. It needed a lot of adjusting and tweaking (which they often do.

But all that said that pic with that grinding wheel on it is a reason to pass if that was its use. The price….I’ve seen worse. But I could not find any old iron for twice that price that wasn’t old as dirt and wore out. YMMV.

There are two different machines shown in those pictures, appear to be same model
They don't appear to have had much use, just dirty. The grinding / buffing wheels might be a problem, go and have a look, take a small bottle of kero and some rag with you, and clean off a section of ways near chuck and saddle. If the gunk on ways is just old oil and dust stay with it, iff it's gritty take your money and run. Price seems fair if they are in good nick.

Back