Enco 9x42 Head Stuck

Earl

Active User
Registered
New to me Enco 9 x 42 step pulley mill. The head will tilt and nod just fine. The turret will rotate just fine. The head will not move in or out. I have the 2 lock nuts loose but the lever for the pinion shaft is not turning. I removed the pinion shaft and oiled it up, sprayed the dovetails with penetrating oil and then some way oil. Any suggestions?

Cadillac

Registered
Registered
Spray it down with some pb blaster and wait a day. Take the lock bolts out and spray in the hole to get deeper penetration to the dovetail. Dovetail rusted? It's a rack and pinion gear that moves the ram in/out don't get to crazy on the lever. Probably has never been moved with dried cosmoline on the surfaces.

Earl

Active User
Registered
Spray it down with some pb blaster and wait a day. Take the lock bolts out and spray in the hole to get deeper penetration to the dovetail. Dovetail rusted? It's a rack and pinion gear that moves the ram in/out don't get to crazy on the lever. Probably has never been moved with dried cosmoline on the surfaces.
ok I will use a dose of patience. The penetrating oil I used was PB blaster. I did remove the pinion and sprayed inside there as well as the lock bolts. I will see what happens tomorrow. Thanks

markba633csi

Registered
Registered
You may have to wait several days- keep soaking it and apply a generous dose of patience. Some folks rig up a big chunk of wood hanging from ropes to use as a "persuader" or "knocking log"
Once you start to see a tiny movement you have it

Earl

Active User
Registered
Ran out of Patience. removed the pinion and used a 4 ft pry bar in the back of the ram. Just a gentle pry and the ram popped loose. Now it is on to new bearings in the motor.

It can take up to an hour for ads to appear on the page. See our code implementation guide for more details. If you already have Auto ad code on your pages there's no need to replace it with this code
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock