Enco drill press BAD chattering

mirage100

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I got a Enco model 126-2220 That chatters real bad when you are using it. I was using it for something that it was not designed for. Had a bad crash and it has shattered ever since. So I am guessing either the bearings are bad or the spindle is bent. Does anyone know where I can get parts for this Enco drill press? It is a 1 horsepower press and has belts on it. Thanks as always. Mirage

You can tell quite a lot about the spindle by checking the quill stays put laterally when you load it by setting up a DTI against it, yanking on the chuck sideways. The chattering could be the spindle, but could also be something amiss in the chuck. If you can eliminate the chuck as a thing to blame, it might help. A bent spindle lets you know it's in trouble, even when not under load.

The key thing you mention is it "had a bad crash", and that the chatter condition has been present since that event. It is reasonable to infer that there are things in the load path that are now either damaged, or not as they should be. Have a look at the pulleys when turned by hand, with the belts removed. A sudden stoppage can do things to them! Let us hope there is no crack in the frame structure up to the pole support. Check the condition of the belt(s) to discover if they have come out a bit "modified" after the event.

I have a (new) drill press that is still a mess of unwanted vibration and noise. The cause happens to be out of balance pulleys, but the noise is not the moan nor high frequency shriek I would call "real chatter". That would be the kind arising from lack of rigidity in the load path (like a frame crack or suchlike).

Maybe a picture or two of the stuff you think might have taken most of the hit during the bad crash would help. I'm betting there are folk here who have experienced your scenario, and perhaps much worse!

Thank you very much. I will take the chuck off tomorrow. Now that you mention that it makes very good sense to start at the first place. You guys are GREAT.

Getting new bearings should be easy enough (they usually have numbers printed on them) but spindles don't grow on trees; your only real option
is to straighten it or have it straightened if it's bent.
Generally speaking drill presses themselves DO grow on trees so if yours is too messed up just start looking for another- maybe find one that needs
a motor and swap

Does this sound right

Attachments

• 67751641115__86A944CC-0306-4364-ABCA-4DD4DF9739D2.MOV
    1.5 MB
I took apart the whole spindle including the shaft that the pulley goes on.The bearings on the pulley shaft definitely has a crunch to it. There are 2 bearings. I hope this will fix my issue.

The clicking sound in your video is just the sound of the spindle splines and the drive collar/pulley assembly- not unusual
The fits are often somewhat loose on import machines
Bearing issues are another matter

well all of the bearings were making noise. Ordered the 4 bearings. Well there are 5 bearings. One is a one way bearing. I don't know anything about them. Do you have to install the oneway bearing a certain way?

Hard to believe an import drill press would have a sprague clutch, did you determine it was one way by turning or the part number?

John

Back