Enco Lathe 110-2079 Wiring Motor Issue

jmudler

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I just bought this lathe from a surplus store and in the process of restoring. I hooked up the motor to 220 and it runs. I mounted it to the lathe (no belts) and wired to the control panel. Using the photos I took before removing motor. I did not remove any other wiring/switches.

Applied power and the light illuminated. I hit start and the motor runs. I hit stop and it stops. Reset the stop button. The job/inch button does nothing. The apron switch (by the gear box) rotates and the motor lunges and now just smokes in two of the three positions. Up position motor runs.

I put 220 on the motor directly to ensure it still runs and it does. I noticed KM3 black button is depressed and will not “pop out”. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have attached pictures of wiring prior to removing motor, and control panel.

Attachments

• unnamed 4.jpg
    unnamed 4.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 23
  • unnamed 5.jpg
    unnamed 5.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 38
  • unnamed 6.jpg
    unnamed 6.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 33
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 33
  • unnamed 3.jpg
    unnamed 3.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 22
The one with the stuck button is almost certainly bad.
question is were they wired correctly? And are they the right kind?
Looks like the motor has been replaced also
Let me see if I have the docs for that model
Here it is:

Attachments

• Enco-110-2075-79 -Manual-11-13-14.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Looks like KM3 must have broken internally-

We will have to see if we can come up with a Siemens part number
In the mean time we should disconnect the supply from KM3 and test the rest of the system
I'll show you how to do that tomorrow
ciao

Last edited:
Ok I will go ahead and get a new KM3 in route. I eagerly await your response

Thank you

Last edited:
KM3 can stay in place for now. To test the rest of the system:
With power off, remove the wires from the top of KM3: L1, L2, L3. Any top terminals with multiple wires: fasten them together with
a small screw and nut. Tape them temporarily with masking tape. Label the tape to indicate L1, L2, L3

Remove the wire 21NC and bring it down and connect to 22NC under the same screw.
Show me a picture before you fire it up so I can check.

Now you should be able to test it for forward and jog. Let me know if the motor runs in reverse, we may have to swap two wires.
KM2 is supposed to be forward/jog and KM3 reverse but that may have been inadvertently swapped when the motor was replaced,
putting more wear and tear on KM3

Last edited:
Hey Mark. I am sorry but I didn't get a chance to work on the lathe since your post. No disrespect intended. I am getting married in 6 weeks and have a terminal 8 year old. So life is a tad busy :). I should be free Wednesday night and will rewire and post a picture.

Again, thank you for all the help.

I was able to make some time last night and here is what I did. Before and after. Also L2 is just a jumper to L3.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 9
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 9
Hiya- thanks for the pics. You also need to remove the other two top line wires from KM3 (L2,L3 as per post #6) and tape
The red one way in the back can stay

Last edited:
Back