Enco Lathe 110-2079 Wiring Motor Issue

Ok I will remove L2/L3. I will post the results. Thank you very much

Removed jumper wire from L2/L3 and powered breaker. Power light came on. Presses start with the forward/reverse lever in neutral position.

It breaker tripped and now KM1 little black button is depressed and will not reset.

OK you must have a shorted contactor on the output- Some more testing is in order
Do you have a multimeter? If so show me
Disconnect the motor and turn off the power and we can do some tests
Disconnect the 220 wire from the transformer and tape it
Give KM1 a few taps and see if you can free up the button- try it on KM3 also
Tap the button and the contactor itself- firmly but not so hard that it cracks the plastic

Last edited:
OK set your meter for continuity and press the esc shift view key, check that you get a beep when you touch probes together:
I'll be back
Screenshot_2023-10-29_07:43:48.png

You'll probably want to download the actual user's guide for the meter- the file is too big for me to post it here
The link you posted is just a sales brochure
I would hold off on ordering any new contactors just yet until we diagnose what's wrong
Also, shoot me another pic of the long terminal strip in the contactor box- straight on view so I can see it clearly-thx
Is this drawing correct as far as the wire names?

2079mot.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice Lathe by the way. I have a 110-2031 which is supposed to be a gap bed however mine is not. Mine had been stripped of the wiring and replaced with an American motor and a vfd. Anyway I hope you get the bugs worked out of your new lathe

This looks like a case of a contactor which is shorted internally- not a common problem but possible with
parts that have many operating hours on them

Last edited:
When you get your meter ready to go, shut off the power and disconnect the motor and the 220 wire on the transformer.
Probe the three motor wires coming from the contactor box. Try all the combinations of wire pairs.
You should not hear a beep with any of the wire pairs.
If you do, either KM2 or KM3 may have an output short. Let me know what you find.

The contactor KM1 doesn't carry motor current, so if it's failing internally from old age I'm thinking you might need to replace all 3.
But don't run out and buy any just yet; don't remove them yet

Last edited:
Thank you Pevehouse. I have a Allen Bradley VFD and motor sitting on the shelf for a milling machine down the road. I may end up using it on this. I wanted to learn with levels and dials.

P.S. My son attends AU by the way.

Back