[4]

Enco RF-30 One Shot Lube System

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
On another forum thread a member asked me to post pictures of my RF-30 one shot lube system. I thought it best that the pictures and responses reside in this manufacturer specific forum. So here goes.

This is a Bijur pump that I bought used off of eBay. It has worked flawlessly for more than five years. It didn't have a plunger handle so I made one.
IMG_0371.JPG

This is the distribution manifold I made. I used Push-to-Connect fittings. On my CNC mill conversion I used 1/8" NPT x 1/4" hose compression fittings. Either will work.
IMG_0372.JPG

The system is plumbed using 1/4" OD Tygon tubing. The lube system feeds the X and Y dovetails, three axis handwheel support brackets, and the X and Y axis feed screw nuts.
IMG_0373.JPG

A close up shot of one side of the Y axis lube inlet.
IMG_0374.JPG

craptain

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
All I can say is WOW.
That's an impressive system.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

TerryH

I have no clue what I'm doing...
Very impressive Tom! Nice work.

TomS

Active User
Thanks for the comments guys. It's one of those mods that has paid dividends in that the only way to lube the X and Y feed screw nuts is to stand on your head and manipulate a oil can in an awkward position to get oil in there. This mod makes it easy.

stioc

Registered
Thanks for posting the pics Tom. I must admit I didn't even know those needed to be lubed periodically. I mean I clean and squirt a couple of drops in the dove tails every now and again because I thought that made sense but I recall when I got my RF30 I didn't find any reference in the manual for periodically oiling any parts of the machine.
Also, when you say X and Y feed screws- same thing as the lead screws right?

mattthemuppet2

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
lovely work. Quick Q - did you use flow metering whatsits and/ or ball check valves? I have a similar oiler on my 6x26 mill and it doesn't have check valves, so the oil drains out of some of the lines back into the reservoir, so I have to pump it several times to get those lines filled while the other lines pump too much oil. Be neat to stop that happening but I don't have a clue where to look!

Buffalo21

I put a one-shot oiler, on the 1940 Bridgeport based Franken-Mill and the Atlas/Clausing (Johansson) milling machine based Franken-Drill. I made all of the line orifices and be set the flow to each port.

TomS

Active User
Thanks for posting the pics Tom. I must admit I didn't even know those needed to be lubed periodically. I mean I clean and squirt a couple of drops in the dove tails every now and again because I thought that made sense but I recall when I got my RF30 I didn't find any reference in the manual for periodically oiling any parts of the machine.
Also, when you say X and Y feed screws- same thing as the lead screws right?
Yes, feed screw or lead screw, they are the same.

TomS

Active User
lovely work. Quick Q - did you use flow metering whatsits and/ or ball check valves? I have a similar oiler on my 6x26 mill and it doesn't have check valves, so the oil drains out of some of the lines back into the reservoir, so I have to pump it several times to get those lines filled while the other lines pump too much oil. Be neat to stop that happening but I don't have a clue where to look!
I installed a check valve at the inlet to the distribution manifold. Take a look at the first picture. At the top of the manifold you will see a pipe nipple and a brass fitting on top. That is the check valve.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Well now you took my idea for my HF drill mill , I've all the parts only I'm using copper lines . Depending where I may solder mine into the castings , I figure they'll be closer and less chance of dropping a part and busting a fitting hanging out an inch . Mainly I've got about fifty ft of 1/8"soft copper line material. Even going to use it on all my machines . I also thought of using a converted a grease gun and on the distribution block add a grease fitting to pump oil into the machines . I have plenty of them and two of the reservoir pumps . Good job but I don't trust the push in type fittings. Your set ups real nice and looks professional .

TomS

Active User
Good luck with your project. I agree, push-to connect fittings leak and sometimes the tubing falls out. I prefer compression fittings.

mattthemuppet2

I installed a check valve at the inlet to the distribution manifold. Take a look at the first picture. At the top of the manifold you will see a pipe nipple and a brass fitting on top. That is the check valve.
neat, thanks for the info Tom

[6]
[5] [7]