End Mill sliping

Check this out.
Thanks, Russ. I actually knew about that once, interesting. I had forgotten about them because it is highly unlikely I will ever have that setup in my humble home shop. John's shop is a bit more high end than mine... I am quite sure that it is a very good method of holding tools, and concentrically. You could end up with a whole lot of expen$ive tooling that way... Great for the pros.

I had forgotten about them because it is highly unlikely I will ever have that setup in my humble home shop.

Yah I think he mentions a price for that heating machine and it's more than my brand new 12x36 lathe cost.
But we can dream ...right!!!

Well I guess I’m one of the outsiders that can say I do not have any problems with holding cutters in R8 collets. And I have been doing this for a very long time! I use a locking pin but not on purpose, it’s just there and I have not removed it. The pin can make a real mess of things if the collet/holder spins. Has not happened to me but I have seen the damage on holders and it’s ugly. I do not have a power draw bar. I just tighten by hand and not gorilla tight. I’m using the same draw bar for decades and the threads are still good. I do periodically clean the draw bar threads and collet threads. My collet set is Bridgeport. Most if not all of my cutters are USA. I can’t ever recall a cutter not staying put in the collet…Dave

If the end flutes and or the corners of the end mill are slightly dull, this could add to the issue of it moving upward in the holder. Also, I've had the quill move on me, even with the quill locked down. Usually, the end mill at this point breaks off. :oops:

Ken has a very good point. If you are lowering the quill and locking it down. Then the quill may be moving.

I though of the quill moving after locking, so I even held onto things and watched gauge to see that it was not moving.
begining to think it is the end mills causing the problem. Have no way to sharpen them At this point. Am now thinking of trying to make a tool grinder setup at some point. Anyone know where to get end mills and a low cost. Ken

.......................................... Anyone know where to get end mills and a low cost. Ken
I'll be glad to help you out.
I have a bunch that have been resharpen. Be glad to send you a few. PM me your address and I'll put them in the mail later this week. I promise not to change my mind. Glad you got a mill.

Ken

Back