Engine case sealant

mofosheee

Registered
Registered
It's been years since my last engine build..................what are the higher quality engine case sealant used today please?

Yamabond?
anaerobic sealants?

Not quite sure what you are sealing. The only sealant I have used is ceramic seal when stitching up a crack in a cast iron block or head. For what is a gasket replacement, they are so numerous I would rely on the manufacturer recommendations.

For gas engines I use Permatex Ultra Gray, for a more permanent sealer Permatex Right Stuff. The right stuff is extremally difficult to separate if used to seal a Chevy V8 intake manifold.

Is non-hardening Permatex No.2 gasket maker still available?
Yes, but much harder to find. It has been relabeled.
It is my go to for most jobs.
I have seen it in the parts stores but I get it through McMaster Carr

This is the GOAT for aircooled engines. This is 40yrs old and still good and the spilled on top you can stick a fingernail into. Never leaks and stays pliable so you can take it apart when you rebuild. I did many, many VW’s with this one bottle. At aircraft school used the same stuff they just imbedded super fine silk thread into it.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.jpeg
    IMG_0605.jpeg
    520.9 KB · Views: 26
It's been years since my last engine build..................what are the higher quality engine case sealant used today please?

Yamabond?
anaerobic sealants?
I use thermabond 635 or something . It’s what toro, jd, and others use to seal no gasketed surfaces. Have yet to have a surface leak using. Stihl uses dirko ht to seal engine cases.

For the past couple of years I've been using Permatex Right Stuff with good success.

Ted

Back