Engine case sealant

Exactly as crazypj stated. Who ever assembled this bike 40 years ago went "crazy with the cheese wiz". Sheet was freakin everywhere. Oil pump suction screen 75% plugged. (no pic) I don't think; Honda, yama or Threebond was available then. New products have come along way since
The more is better syndrome, heck 30+ years ago you didn’t trust that thin little layer goo. We were still using quarter inch cork gaskets lol. I always liked seeing the big old thick gaskets and a layer of Goo on each side.
Anyway

There’s so many products out there it’s hard to know what is good . So we’ve been experiencing some failures due to rogue RTV getting where it’s not supposed to be. I blame this simply on the fact that most RTV products have a specific cure and set time for example we have a guy that comes in and does all the shop supply inventory, nuts, bolts, cleaning, materials, you name it gasket sealer‘s. Well they came in with this newfangled goo specially formulated for transmissions with the claim that the RTV does not break down with contact with the new transmission fluids so here it is but again, I laughed out loud when I read the instructions, so we’re a busy shop. We’re expected to turn out transmission services quickly. The customer also wants their vehicle back as soon as possible now the fun part.
Here’s the directions apply quarter inch bead surrounding all bolt holes install and tighten bolts to material just squeezes out let dry for one hour torque to spec then let cure for 24 hours before adding fluid. Really do you want me to tell a customer we’re gonna need their car for a day and a half , tie up a lift or push the car in in and out for transmission service.
But I Sign and say this is why RTV is getting into places it shouldn’t be

Attachments

• DF63F044-4AD3-47AE-9A1F-9E11ED569BD4.jpeg
    DF63F044-4AD3-47AE-9A1F-9E11ED569BD4.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DB63B33B-FBDC-40D5-9687-E2E08FD0BA43.jpeg
    DB63B33B-FBDC-40D5-9687-E2E08FD0BA43.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
"There’s so many products out there it’s hard to know what is good"
And this is why I pitched this question. Thanks everybody!

"There’s so many products out there it’s hard to know what is good"
And this is why I pitched this question. Thanks everybody!
Well I have come to like both the toyota and Honda RTV for almost all applications. I forget the actual ones. I would have to look.

I was using Suzukibond and Yamabond in mid 80's and it had been around for a while even then.
Problem was, it was very expensive, Suzukibond around £27.00 a tube.
Last time I bought Threebond 1104 it was only $11.00 (around 20011~12) but I don't think import duty in Britain would have made that much difference

I'm a little late to the party here, but as a former Yamaha tech the Yamabond is a good product and would recommend it any day.

Ken
Yamabond isn't a definitive product. There are different versions. Threebond 1184 is the classic acrylic adhesive that most associate with Yamabond, Hondabond, etc. This is the stuff that is most commonly used between engine crankcase halves.

and if you really find yourself deep in the rabbit hole there is this;
Yup I mentioned that on the first page. I never felt like I needed on the many VW’s I did. None of my engines ever leaked. I ran my 1300 to 130,000mi and got scared as it was the only engine I’d ever kept that long. Never leaked and when I went to split case it came apart easily. I will never bother with anything else as Aeroseal is it for me. YMMV.

Back