Er Collet Chuck With Jacobs Taper

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone know if there is such a thing as an ER collet chuck with a jacobs taper mount? I have a quick change tool system for my CNC mill that has two JT2 tool holders. I could mount a couple of drill chucks but having an ER collet set up rather than drill chucks will give me more options for tool holding, e.g. I can hold drills as well as end mills.

Thought about buying a JT2 reamer but the cheapest I found is $65. Maybe I can buy a collet chuck with a straight shank and cut the internal taper with my compound. Just a thought.

Here's a picture of my tool holder.

th-jacob-drill-taper-R-8-tooling-tool-holder.jpg

Thanks in advance for your input.

Tom S

I have never seen one. What brand is the QCTS

You might have issues with milling stuff pulling the jacobs taper lose.

Stuart

Sounds like a goo idea to me, saves buying a new holder just for another drill chuck.
Just make sure that it seats properly in the nut.
What size of er's are you using?

My system is an Ultron Snap Change. The following link will give you the details. snapchange.com
I like it because it's a simple design, sacrifices virtually no quill travel, and puts no additional stress on the spindle and quill.

Here's a picture of my setup. Because it's made to fit a Bridgeport I had to make a riser/spacer to replicate the distance through a BP head.

Tom S

20150516_094353_resized.jpg

You might have issues with milling stuff pulling the jacobs taper lose.

Stuart

Good point! I hadn't thought of that. What if I assembled the two with Loctite Red?

Tom S

Sounds like a goo idea to me, saves buying a new holder just for another drill chuck.
Just make sure that it seats properly in the nut.
What size of er's are you using?

Haven't decided on a size yet. I still need to make the decision whether I go with the ER setup or use drill chucks.

Tom S

Good point! I hadn't thought of that. What if I assembled the two with Loctite Red?

Tom S
Humm, not sure, although that stuff is amazingly strong in some grades, i think i used 206 loctite (might have number wrong) but it was described as semi perminant.

I thought i had it the wrong way round as i sudenly thouht your pic looked like a chuck arbour in the form of a solid er collet (havnt seen that before).

When i started using my er milling chuck i had to make parallel shanks for tools like fly cutters etc. as it was quicker to plop them in the er chuck than remove the chuck from the spindle. I tend to put all my drills in the collet chuck, i only use my drill chuck on the lathe generally. Nothing todo with a change in weather making it difficult to get the collet chuck out of the spindle at all ;-)

Stuart

Just found that Collis sells them. Don't have a clue on the price. They specify either series 100 or 200 collets. Not sure if they are ER collets so I'll have to do some more web surfing and find out.

Tom S

I was window shopping on the internet and came accross http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets/ER-Milling-Collet-Chucks-Straight-Shank

They have included a safety screw that goes into the jacobs (i presume that requires drilling and tapping as i've never seen jacobs with a thread in the noes)

Their all er11 and jacobs 1 though, but the general concept is their , somone probably does a bigger one for the jacobs 2 and bigger collets.

Stuart

Back