European Hinges

randyjaco

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I am looking for a self- closing European hinge. Not one that closes when you push it half way, but one that you have to hold open or it will close, like an old fashioned screen door. Does anybody make such a hinge?

TIA
Randy

IMG_20151222_072412.jpg

i used to buy my euro hinges from an outfit named Rockler, google them (hope they still exist !)
Dan

The key word you are looking for is "32mm hardware."
This is a hardware standard used for making low end cheap furniture in Europe.
It caught on in America because we foolishly believe that all things Euro are classy, and because it is moronically simply to install.
It does disappear from view when the door is closed, but requires a fairly thick and wide style for installation cause smaller doors to appear ungainly.
You can get it by the crate almost anywhere that sells hardware to the pros, or pay 5x price from a retailer like Rockwell.

Randy,
I've never seen what you're asking for. (I've been using these eurostyle hinges for at least 30 years.)

I have been in construction for 35 years and am not familiar with a hinge like the one you describe. Blum makes their soft close hinge, but you must initiate the start of the door closing before it works. You could use a spring attached to both the door and the frame. Put the spring under torque and it will make the door stay closed. Not sure if that helps.

Having been in the custom cabinet business for over 20 years I have never seen a fully self closing "euro style hinge" Your best bet is to use a small door closer in conjunction with the hinges. Most of the hinges have a spring that provides a little detent that holds the door open and closed, you might need to remove it if using with a closer.

The key word you are looking for is "32mm hardware."
This is a hardware standard used for making low end cheap furniture in Europe.
It caught on in America because we foolishly believe that all things Euro are classy, and because it is moronically simply to install.
It does disappear from view when the door is closed, but requires a fairly thick and wide style for installation cause smaller doors to appear ungainly.
You can get it by the crate almost anywhere that sells hardware to the pros, or pay 5x price from a retailer like Rockwell.

Yes the 32mm system used on cheap low end cabinets but it is also used on the highest end custom cabinet work as well. There is a wide range of quality available.
Not sure what you mean by "moronically simply" to install. The mounting holes have to be bored at precise dimension and location. Also the hinges don't require any "style" (stile), they can be installed in a simple slab door only ⅝" (16mm) thick.

Having been in the custom cabinet business for over 20 years I have never seen a fully self closing "euro style hinge" Your best bet is to use a small door closer in conjunction with the hinges. Most of the hinges have a spring that provides a little detent that holds the door open and closed, you might need to remove it if using with a closer.

Yes the 32mm system used on cheap low end cabinets but it is also used on the highest end custom cabinet work as well. There is a wide range of quality available.
Not sure what you mean by "moronically simply" to install. The mounting holes have to be bored at precise dimension and location. Also the hinges don't require any "style" (stile), they can be installed in a simple slab door only ⅝" (16mm) thick.
Sorry if I offended, it was not my intent.
But yes, they are moronically simple to install. One needs only drill a precise size hole by using the correct drill, and put it to a precise depth by using a drill stop. Drilling a hole in the right place is simple, and most of these hinges can be adjusted anyway so the hole only needs to be near the target.
Compared to installing a full mortise hinge with finials on a flush mount door, the difficulty of installing a cup hinge is not even worth talking about. Even overlay hinges are more difficult to install.

I have had customers request them from time to time on custom furniture. I do my best to talk them out of it. They are fine for bathroom cabinets where surface mount doors are preferable, but flush mount doors or visible pins are a higher standard of craftsmanship on furniture. I do recall a small free standing cabinet I made where the customer also wanted the doors to self close. I wish I could remember all the details, it was sort of a wardrobe with drawers, two large doors, and a bunch of small doors and drawers on the inside. I can't even remember the purpose of the cabinet, just that it went in the living room. Now that I think back on it, I think I used Euro style free swinging hinges (I'm pretty sure Blum makes them) on the larger doors, and barrel hinges on the smaller doors. I think I used closers to draw the doors shut. The whole job was a pain, and came out looking pretty plain in the end. The customer ended up paying some pretty large money for something that looked "Euro," in other words they got an expensive Ikea clone (bleh). The worst part was that they lived in a nice old Arts and Crafts house, I almost refused the job on principle - Arts and Crafts + Euro trash = criminally disgusting.

Back