European Hinges

Keep in mind the fundamental difference between "traditional" and "Eurostyle" furniture making.

In the "traditional" style, the preliminary work is done with machines that rip, saw, plane, etc., the stock. This would have been done by low-skilled workers. Then, it goes to the high-paid skilled workers to morise, tenon, glue up, and prepare the finished product.

Contrast this to the "Eurostyle." Stock preparation, mostly using engineered materials (plywood, particleboard, laminate, etc.) is all done by big, expensive machinery. Cut to size, edge banded, linebored, holes put in carefully standardized locations. Then it's flat packaged, and shipped to the consumer. Then the consumer (that low-skilled, low-paid worker) puts it together and uses it.

Nowadays, it's the wise cabinetmaker (cough, cough) who can combine the qualities of both paradigms, and make a decent living!

Thanks for all the replies. I am trying to solve a marital problem. The wife can't remember to close the overhead (for her) cabinet doors and I keep walking in to them . If I can get the doors to self-close with out making them "unsightly", my problem will be solved

Randy

My first wife had the same condition...

Back