Evaporust ? Tell Me About It .

mmcmdl

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
Staff member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I assume HF sells this from prior posts . A few questions .

1 Is it safe per MSDS ?
2 Does it etch metal or attack paint ?
2.5 Is this also a lubricant such as Kroil or Orb ?
3 Does it work fairly well ? ( Is it worth the $$$ )
4 How much ?

Before and after pics would be great if possible . TIA !

1 It is safe
2 It will turn metal a grayish color
2.5 It is not a lubricant It only removes rust
3 It works well but I find electrolysis works better at times and is cheaper
4 How much what ?

Yes HF sells it, but a gallon was $8 less at my local oriellys store.

Thanks . I googled it (which I should have done first) :rolleyes: Bill answered what I was looking for though . Electrolysis may be the best route .

Very nice autonoz . I am assuming that it does work quite well per your pics . :encourage:

I love Evaporust. Yes it will color steel slightly grey but Scotchbrite grey pads bring the surface back to shiny steel or iron. I have yet to try electrolysis. I would consider it for larger items over Evaporust for the cost factor. Kieth Rucker has a very recent utube video showing a large precision straight edge with mild surface rust. He made a wood frame vessel and lined it with sheet plastic to use a minimum of the solution. The results were typical for the product.

If you use Evaporust you should have the part completely submerged, or it will have an etched line at the air/Evaporust surface when you pull it out. It lasts much longer if you wire brush off all the loose rust and clean the oil and grease off of it before putting it in the bath. Evaporust has a surfactant (detergent) in it, and I have added a bit to a used bath to help it along. I also keep the bath well covered so as not to lose liquid by evaporation. I have added small amounts of water to the well used solution. It works great, though slower with age, and it is nice to be able to plunge your bare hands into it with no worries and it is easy to dispose of. It is a chelating agent and only reacts with iron oxide (rust), nothing else. It will not damage or etch the metal itself at all. Best thing since sliced bread!

Yep, good stuff. Have used it for years. Yes, it will leave an etched line if parts are forgotten, er, I mean left in for a long time if they are not fully submerged.

Back