Evaporust ? Tell Me About It .

I have used both evaporust and 2 different methods of electrolytic rust removal.
the first method of electrolysis i tried involved and iron anode , the second process used a carbon anode.

all 3 mentioned rust removal scenarios worked very well.
evaporust is the simplest of the 3 methods- clean parts and dunk em' pull the parts out and rinse them- then oil em down
electrolytic rust removal is not difficult, but you will have to scrub a film of black rust from your parts upon rust removal.
the black rust is red rust that has changed chemical composition due to the effects of the electrolysis.
when you use a carbon anode, the black rust is replaced by a thin layer of carbon that easily brushes off.
the iron anode, if used, will require a little more elbow grease to remove the black rust- but is by no means difficult.

nobody else mentioned the molasses treatment, so i'll mention it...
molasses and water combined with time, will also remove rust.
i have not personally use this method, but i understand the method works.
i dead read/hear that it does take a long period of time to complete.
you can see how i did the electrolytic processes here
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/thre...111b-105014-iqr-rebuild-by-ulma-doctor.14399/

Last edited:
I've had good luck with Evaporust as others above mentioned. I have also used Lysol toilet bowl cleaner (mild acid) and Muriatic acid with good results. Haven't tried it, but vinegar has been recommended also.

Bruce

Thank you all for the responses . Yep . Vinegar , naval jelly , oven cleaner etc ! Always looking for something better/easier .

I use a lot of this on tractors and I am very pleased with the results , although it has a different purpose than evaporust .

I'm going to give evaporust a shot on some smaller stuff . Thanks again . :wink:

IMG_6293.JPG

If the part is too large for a submerged treatment of Evaporust. I have successfully laid down paper towels over the rust that is soaked in Evaporust. Must keep an eye on the paper towels though. They will dry out so you will need to keep them wet with more Evaporust. Or, wrap it all up in plastic, Saran wrap or something. Try and do it on a cool day and in the shade. Also, have found that using a bronze or stainless steel wire brush works better than a steel brush. Seems to leave a better finish on the project metal…Dave.

Dave , sounds like cheesecloth may work also on larger parts . Keep it soaked . Thanks , Dave . Bottom line .............I have to go to Tractor Supply . :)

I have use the Evaporust and it did a good job, Have a few more items to do now, Have also do the electrolysis with the Iron anode and it worked, Have not tried the carbon Anode.
To me the evaporust was the easiest to use, Clean it up, get all the big chunks off, and clean of oil/dirt. and it worked even left the pain on it. My electrolysis solution degraded and loosened the paint that was left on the objects. Thus I was also able to remove more of the old paint as well. Have a bigger project coming up and not sure what I will use. It would take a lot of Evaporust to cover it, and I would have to get a large tub to put the Electrolysis solution in so that I could get part of the part in it (my 10 Gallon bucket will not work for either one).

Dave , sounds like cheesecloth may work also on larger parts . Keep it soaked . Thanks , Dave . Bottom line .............I have to go to Tractor Supply . :)
I think the chessecloth would leave a screen pattern on the steel?

Uma Doctor mentioned molasses. I've used it often. It is slower, for heavy rust give it a week or two to do its thing. Looks like its similar in nature and method to Evaporust but a lot cheaper.
I cleaned up this shaper in the fall. Had sat for 11 years in an unheated building.
IMG_1855.jpg

All the parts went into a 45 gal plastic barrel for a couple of weeks with $20 worth of molasses from the feed store, I see a drum of Evaporust is $719.

IMG_1876.jpg

Washed the parts off with the pressure washer and oiled them down.

IMG_1945.jpg

Greg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1945.jpg

Greg, what kind of oil did you use and on the parts that are bare/painted did you paint quick then oil the bare?
Have a 14" Steptoe I need to refinish.

Stan,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back