Ever had one of those days??

Many years ago, I was a conductor/motorman at the Seashore Trolley Museum up in Kennebunkport, Maine.

I was driving one of their trolleys on the mainline through the woods heading back to the Visitor's Center. I was going downhill coming to an area where there is a deer crossing, when this huge buck leaped across the entire right of way in one jump, from one side of the roadbed (where there is a ditch) to the other. Luckily, there was no contact. Unlike a diesel, many of these trolleys are light wood construction, so hitting a deer would do some serious damage to both the trolley and the deer. It all happened in a flash. I couldn't have put it into emergency in time if I'd have wanted to. You just can't believe how fast these animals are. Thank goodness we didn't hit.

Here we don't have deers, just wild boars, but they are sturdy.
A night, while driving my motor scooter on the hills here around, I had a very close encounter with a male: I had the luck he didn't considered me dangerous, because he was bigger than the scooter… and I think faster, too.

As a Paramedic I've responded to incidents that didn't have as good an outcome as the many near misses you experienced on day 1.
I'm glad that we didn't meet on day 1, it sounds as though you traveled through my territory.
God willing you will have many more day 2s!

Take care of your self and your family, all you can do is hope/pray that the wild bear and motorcyclists do similarly.

Daryl
MN

Yes I know this because when I was younger my mom ask the ladies at the church topray for my patience. And you know them old church ladies won't shut up so you may as well give up.
Wow, that was a rough day! You didn't happen to be praying for patience any time before that did you?.....God usually answers those prayers with obstacles to try your patience. LOL. We all get those days one in a while. Like you, I've noticed that a different day makes all the difference. I'm a professional power napper. I find that they help me to start my day over. 40 mins to an hour of shutting down, almost meditating, mid afternoon, recharges me, and I'm good to go until midnight. I do this daily.When things get tough, I tell myself, "this too, shall pass".MarcelSent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

The large tires are first cut up with the shear shown in the second photo. How many pieces depends on the size of the tire, but the twelve footers get cut up into about eight pieces. After that they are fed through a series of shredders that gradually reduce the size of the pieces. Finally the pieces are passed through a machine that grinds the pieces in such a way that the wire and rubber are totally separated from each other. Wire goes to the steel mill as high grade scrap and the rubber from the large tires gets used primarily for ballistic pads and blocks for shooting ranges and such. Car tires and truck tires get made into other products because the rubber compounds are different.

Here is a video of a shredder taking on some small OTRs (heavy equipment tires):
[video=youtube;D-wEEY_Qs3M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-wEEY_Qs3M[/video]

They make machines that can shred cars, engine blocks, transmissions, rebar, just about anything you can imagine. Even steel drums full of concrete! Bowling balls, just about anything.

i was so impressed reading your story and making my first comment i forgot to ask. . .
what does the company do to those monster tires when they recycle them? cut them with the shear head and feed a chopper or ? ? ? ?

40 years ago my boss was working on a cyrogenic (sp) system for pulversing tires by freezing and dropping them from a great height. it sounded kind of like a good idea but it never got ery far off the ground (so to speak)

can you write a detail on how its done in Minneapolis / st. paul ?

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, Daryl, I did pass right through your area. It's been a while since I've seen you, but I am glad we did not have to meet again due to an emergency! As for the wild critters out there, I am not sure which ones are the most dangerous. Bears tend to go run and hide if they can, they don't don't like confrontation. Deer are, well, just deer. Young guys on motorcycles are a whole different story though!!

As a Paramedic I've responded to incidents that didn't have as good an outcome as the many near misses you experienced on day 1.
I'm glad that we didn't meet on day 1, it sounds as though you traveled through my territory.
God willing you will have many more day 2s!

Take care of your self and your family, all you can do is hope/pray that the wild bear and motorcyclists do similarly.

Daryl
MN

Here we don't have deers, just wild boars, but they are sturdy.
A night, while driving my motor scooter on the hills here around, I had a very close encounter with a male: I had the luck he didn't considered me dangerous, because he was bigger than the scooter… and I think faster, too.

I know how big these boars can get ! Very dangerous ...
I think we'd all feel better if you wore this while driving around those hills next time.
Scare em right off the road
:))dd

Easter Bunny.jpg

Last edited:
I know how big these boars can get ! Very dangerous ...
I think we'd all feel better if you wore this while driving around those hills next time.
:))dd

I'd go for this one, instead:

silvermens3.jpg

(source with other nice pics… and price)
It's a mobile version of the tire shredder: no more "hit-and-run", but "hit-and-pffffffft".
Also useful to find a place on a crowded bus.

silvermens3.jpg

I know just how fast these animals are. I was driving my Toyota Landcruiser FJ 45 home from my parent's farm one night when I just heard a huge bang. I was on the highway doing 100 km/h and had to pull up fast as I couldn't see from the windscreen. I had a large male kangaroo jump out into the road and it exploded on my bull bar. It took me an age to drag all the bits off the car. I was hoping I wouldn't be stopped by police because my car was covered in gore and would have been a little difficult to explain.

I also recall when I was little I rode with my dad from Adelaide, South Australia to Gladstone in Queensland. We were driving an old postwar Bedford rigid axle and must have hit 15 - 20 kangaroos on the way home. Being a little kid I was in tears every time I heard the familiar Bang/Crunch of a kangaroo committing suicide on the front of the truck.

Paul.

Being a little kid I was in tears every time I heard the familiar Bang/Crunch of a kangaroo committing suicide on the front of the truck.

Paul.

Think at this as a way to help Mother Nature to make the roo population smarter, removing unskilled individuals…

Nice video- just watched it. Shred up tires are used to make the rubber Swiss-Trax floor tiles for shops and garages.

Back