Ever See A Drill Break?

It might have been a HSS-Cobalt drill. I also had one break on a fall.

Some one probably tried to harden it and didn't draw it back then. Where I used to work we used a lot of A2 tool steel and had an oven to harden it. I have seen parts shatter when dropped before they where put back in the oven to draw them back.
Perhaps the factory screwed up and skipped the annealing step for that batch.

It could be that when dropped and hit the floor the drill bit went past its fundamental harmonics and resonated at the one harmonic frequency that broke it. Kinda like breaking a crystal glass with sound. And it probably had a poor heat treat…Dave

This can occur with many tools and materials, the probability of fracture when dropped is directionally proportional to the availability/price of replacement.

Last edited:
It's just the cheap stuff that is being offered today. Like the file thread, mfg cut corners and this is the result. I have written companies expressing my disgust at them cheapening good named tooling. It probably does no good but I feel better unloading on a company providing shoddy materials. Call me Don Quioxity, I don't care but I want to see the QUALITY goods I used to see from Made in America.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a $200+ Shun chefs knife fall on the floor and break the blade about 2" from the handle:eek:. Made a good scraper:eagerness:.
John.

my leg did that a couple years ago. i got out of the truck and it just broke..my jaw hit the floor along with the rest of me.

i had a knife snap on my..i was cutting some cheese and snap.

Hey TM, you OK? If so, a quit cuttin' the cheese!

Unfortunately our bodies ain't quite as durable as the equipment the same vintage.

TommyD, you are way too correct...
When we have an old, American made piece of equipment we say "those things are bullet proof".
I'm getting pretty old, why don't I feel bullet proof?

Back