Ever See A Drill Break?

Talk about poor quality. A couple weeks ago a coworker came to me with a BENT drill bit. The 3/16 drill bit actualy bent at a 60 degree angle while he was hand drilling pushing it too hard (because of course it wouldnt cut even with a pilot hole already made) Im pretty sure i took a picture I will post it if I get to find it. Nedless to say I had a little chat with the supply department:face slap: . No really no one got hurt i just laughed hard when I saw the smiley:big grin:

When was the last time You tried to catch a bullet to see if You were bulletproof?
Drills breaking that way are sort of common in the bigger sizes. If Your 1/16" drill bit broke that way it would be worrysome.

I dropped a flat 12 or 14 inch lathe file (I am sure it was a name brand) on a concrete floor about 40-45 years ago. Yes it broke, almost in the middle and I still have the tang end and will use it when I need a shortie. I have not broken any drills so far...............

Quite a few years back the boss brought us some new drills to use. Chucked one up and started to drill a hole in some angle iron and the drill untwisted! I guess it could have been used to drill a left hand hole then. :rolleyes:

Steve

Other than very small drill bits I have never seen one shatter...until two days ago.

I had to drill some 1/4" holes in 1/2" steel angle. I drilled a pilot hole. Then chucked up a new Canadian Tire mastercraft 1/4" bit. The instant the flute caught the pilot hole there was a bang, and I had a 1/2" of the bit in the hole, 1" piece on the floor and the rest in the chuck. Had to finish with an American made bit I had to sharpen.

This was a cordless hand drill.

David

Anything with the word "mastercraft" is junk!

Back