Exhaust for the shed

yea, but it's not enough volume. Get a bigger fan, that will move more volume.
Get one that fills the gable vent or even bigger.

Do you know the CFM for that little guy? A small bathroom fan, moves 50cfm. A better unit will move 200cfm., more in line with what you need for a small shed to cool it and get rid of the fumes. you want air changing to get rid of the heat.
The server fan is 255cfm but it's rather loud.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

yea, but it's not enough volume. Get a bigger fan, that will move more volume.
Get one that fills the gable vent or even bigger.

Do you know the CFM for that little guy? A small bathroom fan, moves 50cfm. A better unit will move 200cfm., more in line with what you need for a small shed to cool it and get rid of the fumes. you want air changing to get rid of the heat.
After a little research (Google) i found that this fan is 90 to 100 cfm and the shed is 8x10

So, an 8x10 shed, 8 feet high (?) plus the peak section: between 600 and 800 cubic feet. Assuming adequate replacement air, that's around 7 minutes to cycle the air. Too slow.

I'll have to side with the naysayers. We're not shooting down the OP; it was a good idea, and good use of on-hand material.

Having said that, it just plain won't do what he wants. There's nothing wrong with pointing that out.

Just my opinion, of course.

Last edited:
Fan's a good idea. Got any windows? Mine doesn't have windows yet. (On the list). I figure the cross breeze would be a huge improvement.

My woodworking shop gets warm in the summer too. It was formerly a granary and had a window just below the peak on the end wall that opened to a small machine shed. I mounted an old breeze box fan in the window. I don't recall what the cfm was but would guess that it is north of 1,000 cfm. Here is one from HD that moves 2,500 cfm for $19.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lasko-20-in-3-Speed-Box-Fan-3733/100405665

A small fan is better than no fan, but I must agree with many of you that the muffin fan will not do as a good a job as one might hope, especially when welding. On the other hand, industrial metal work settings usually seek 6 to 8 air changes per hour if my memory serves me correctly. So being able to change the air once every seven minutes would give just a touch over 8 air changes per hour. Not too shabby when you look at it that way.

Add a length of ridge vent and let natural convection help. The welding fumes should rise and go out. You might want to have a door over it to close it in the winter to keep the heat in. Good job on the recycling used materials.

It's the welding comment that has everyone concerned I think. Its a matter of health. If you can smell the fume you are being poisoned. My welding bench has a louvered wall mount fan I bought from Ventilation Direct that fits between wall studs that draws the fume away from me. I have one in the paint booth too. I think they cost around $100 each back when I built the shop.

It's important to mount them where they draw the fume away from you and pull fresh air past your head.

ctubegap013.jpg

Last edited:
No windows, I just leave the door open.

Back