Fadal monitor upgrade to LED

I've found someone to make me up a cable using the pic in post #8 by mksj. He wants $90 plus shipping to do it. Seems pretty expensive to me, but then again I can't crimp the connections on the molex connector.

Still thinking about it. Of course there is no guarantee it will work without changes.

Got the custom made wire in today. It was made up following the pic that mksj posted. It uses the stock wire, and plugs into the 10 pin connector and has a standard VGA connector on the other end.

Doesn't work, monitor says no signal. Not sure what to do now. I'm worried if I start switching wires around I could fry something.

20220423_170907.jpg

Got the custom made wire in today. It was made up following the pic that mksj posted. It uses the stock wire, and plugs into the 10 pin connector and has a standard VGA connector on the other end.

Doesn't work, monitor says no signal. Not sure what to do now. I'm worried if I start switching wires around I could fry something.

View attachment 405023

Do you know what resolution the original screen was ? Some monitors will display "no signal" when they really mean "signal not supported".

If you have another vga monitor it's worth trying to see if that does the same.

Stu

No really don't know anything about the original monitor. I've asked around and most monitors in fadal's have a BNC input. For what I can see I apparently have the only fadal with a VGA monitor anyone has ever seen. It's a 2003 model, I can't believe I'm the only one with this.

I don't have another monitor to try. I'm really leary of switching the wires around to tr to get it to work. If I fry something in the control I'm really screwed.

No really don't know anything about the original monitor. I've asked around and most monitors in fadal's have a BNC input. For what I can see I apparently have the only fadal with a VGA monitor anyone has ever seen. It's a 2003 model, I can't believe I'm the only one with this.

I don't have another monitor to try. I'm really leary of switching the wires around to tr to get it to work. If I fry something in the control I'm really screwed.

you need a local pal with some basic test gear to probe the lines or a schematic would do.

Stu

You might find the attached document helpful, based on what they describe, I am assuming the orange wire is the green (probably use a different color so not to confuse it with ground). Cable shield appears to be only grounded at the CRT end, depends, usually shielding is grounded at only one end for low level signals, but varies.

View attachment 404545

The R and Shield connections seem to be directly connected to the PSU board from the wide photo.

Stu

I wish I knew someone with those capabilities, but unfortunately I don't. And it's not like I can take it to the local TV repair shop.

I've been searching for schematics but nothing. I have the factory maintenance manual but it just has schematics on the axis drives and spindle control.

I'll keep looking.

The R and Shield connections seem to be directly connected to the PSU board from the wide photo.
I'm not sure what that means, I do see the shield connection though.

I'm thinking of pulling the covering off the cable I had made and see if that tells me anything. But, I really don't know what I'm looking at.

I just found this, but it doesn't look like there is much information for the monitor. But I could be wrong, I have no idea what yo look for.

vga schematic.JPG

I wish I could be more helpful with this post, but I am having flashbacks of the old days of CRT and CATV. With the Atari, the Nintendo, and the HBO boxes back in the 80s, going from BNC to RF, RCA, etc. required adapters to adjust the impedance of the signal. I think I remember the BNC as being overdriven compared to RCA/RF, requiring a number of ohms to be built into the adapter.

I know, not very specific, but if you follow this track you may find your answer. Back in the day, you could probably get what you need at any Radio Shack hanging on the pegboard. These days, you might have a hard time finding someone who knows what BNC means.

Back