Failed Strap Wrenches

SE18

Active User
Registered
I've had several of the smaller strap wrenches fail with the rubber splitting and the inside reinforcement threads then failing. They're made by Pittsburg. Anyone had this sort of problem? I haven't used them much except for opening bottles or large glue caps that got stuck. The larger strap wrenches I use for removing stuck chucks on the lathe along with a hex bar. The larger strap wrenches look like they too may eventually go bad.

Maybe the brand is bad?

I use Rigid strap wrenches, never had a problem unless I loaned them to someone working on something sharp. They have a canvas type strap.

If you need to replace the strap, try to find an old seat belt and cut to fit. They are pretty strong and work pretty well for strap wrenches.

Pittsburg strap wrenches are "cheap!". You get what you paid for them. :(

Ken

Pittsburg is Harbor Freight's brand. HF is kind of hit and miss when it comes to quality. Some things are great, others are junque. My guess is that the strap wrench falls into the latter category. I always read the customer reviews before buying HF tools. They will help you to avoid the junque.

GG

Thanks. I had no idea there are canvas straps. I should have saved the holders. At least they didn't break.

I wonder if we could make a replacement strap out of an old timing belt.

rubber strap wrenches are great for their grip, but will generally be short lived unless the rubber is highly reinforced.
a serpentine belt makes an excellent strap wrench, so don't throw away your used serpentine belts from your rigs!

I also have a cute little one branded "Sloan" after the faucet maker. It is plastic and has a reinforced rubber strap. I've used it on delicate things. I figure it was meant for use on the chrome plated faucet parts.

I made an oil filter strap wrench once with a piece of 3/4" square tubing and some seat belt webbing. Just slotted one end through one wall long enough to hold the seat belt. Once it wraps up tight, it won't slip, and you can use an adjustable open end wrench on it.

We have some of the ones like the Rigid design, but with leather in our tool boxes at work. The leather lasts about 10 years or so, assuming the bozos can keep them out of the jet fuel and hydraulic fluid.

Back