Failed Strap Wrenches

I made an oil filter strap wrench once with a piece of 3/4" square tubing and some seat belt webbing. Just slotted one end through one wall long enough to hold the seat belt. Once it wraps up tight, it won't slip, and you can use an adjustable open end wrench on it.
I have a similar type that I made. Even soaked in used engine oil (thats what happens when you let you kids use your tools) it still grips a filter fine.
bollie7

I used to use a rubber oil filter strap wrench to remove the collet nose protector (and taper adapter puller) from my lathe. I believe it was Harbor Freight, and it worked pretty well.

Can't say as I've had a Harbor Freight / Pittsburgh strap wrench fail, and I've had mine for a few years now. You get 'em on sale for a couple bucks a set during the dollar or parking lot sales.

Mine are generally in a dark barn or garage 99.99% of the time, and I'd expect the rubber to be highly sensitive to UV.

When I go to a garage sale or flea market I’m always on the look-out for men's real leather waist belts. I find them for a buck no problem. Then I harvest the leather for other projects, like for the strap wrench. And I make three rivets out of 12L14 to hold it all together…Good Luck, Dave.

Back