Famco Arbor Press

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I don't often clean up a machine to this extent. I like old tools, and I don't mind when they look old. For some reason this marriage of the base and the press got the full treatment.

Hi, I know this thread is rather old, but I just got a Famco 3R and am struggling to find the dimensions of the daisy wheel and the slots on it, could you let me know.

Hi, I know this thread is rather old, but I just got a Famco 3R and am struggling to find the dimensions of the daisy wheel and the slots on it, could you let me know.
what is the daisy wheel--the arbor plate or the spoke cast hand wheel with 6 handles? Dave

The arbor plate, I hope 8" diameter is big enough

Attachments

• 20200324_220304.jpg
    20200324_220304.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
8" is right and the slots are any widths you want narrower than the base slot--maybe a two inch a one inch a 3/4 " and and a 1'2". make them just a tad wider so a shaft can fit loose in the slots. Dave

I have a Famco 3 press like yours but mine has the ships wheel instead of the ratcheting arm. Also no arbor plate. I need to make one yet.

George

Although the 1" scrap burnt out of plate is probably the cheapest. I wouldn't recommend it for the 8" wheel if you have to turn its flame cut edges down about 1/8" to get it round on an Atlas/Craftsman lathe like I am. It really doesn't like the hardened interupted cut with the cross slide all the way out.

Isn't 1 inch a bit overkill? It's only a three ton press and mine with the ship wheel I doubt I can even get that much from it. I have a 50 ton shop built press and 1 inch plates work fine on it. I've never come close to bending one yet.

since the edge is hardened by the cut out ---I would just use a flap wheel on a 4 1/2" angle grinder to remove burs so it lays flat---it doesn't have to be perfectly round, and cut one of your slots in the burn through starting hole.

Back