Fantastic Drill Press Vice

I saw the block; I just wasn't sure how it attached to the table. I would have a problem with my Delta 17 inch. The table has a trough all around it, and no slots in the table. Just a couple of holes that somebody else drilled!

I saw the block; I just wasn't sure how it attached to the table. I would have a problem with my Delta 17 inch. The table has a trough all around it, and no slots in the table. Just a couple of holes that somebody else drilled!

Time to drill a hole Mike. Or, mount a pivot block to the side of the table. Don't give up so easy. ;)

I guess, if the hole is outside the Arc of Shame, nobody will blame me for it!

So all I need now is the vise. eBay on scan...

Oxtool, on YouTube has drill press vise build like that. Using a large machine vise and a clamp like it. Using a phenolic base to slide yet lock up .

Over the years I have injured myself several times from not properly fixing something I was drilling to the table. Ruined a few bits too. We have all done it one time or another. The standard drill press vice is a PIA to use. I even let a vise get away from me because I didn't fix it to the table. Most of the time the damage isn't serious, but it can be. I have tried dozens of vises, but none have really been satisfactory.

A couple of months ago I scored a 4 "Heinrich TS vise thrown in with the purchase of a drill press. This thing is great. It's easy to use. It is easily posititionable over the table and is very secure. Note the square bar set up. That is the secret. The fact that there is no clamping screw makes it easy. Just push the jaw into position and push down the lock. The jaws have a built in step which eliminates the worry of drilling into the vise or table. The whole assembly can be quickly slid off the table in case you need to use something else.

Yeah, they are a little pricey, but my last injury cost me a lot more. Well worth considering. I also noticed that Northern Tool has a Wilton knock off. I would imagine that there are others.

Check them out.

Randy

I've had Heinrich vises in shops I managed in corp. industry. Last year I scored a 6" Heinrich for $ 60. It's a bit big for my Enco drill press but still boss for the reasons you noted.

I only use my 17" Delta drill press for "light duty" drilling. It sounds like I have the same drill table as Mike (wawoodman). My table has a few holes that seem like they are in odd random locations. Not the typical arc of shame. Maybe a previous owner has drilled them to secure his Heinrich vise?

20170304_232512.jpg

Anything that won't be safely secured by a normal drill press vise goes to either my Bridgeport or Jet-15 mill/drill. Once secured in a 5" or 6" milling vise bolted to the mill table, the part isn't going anywhere. I understand that not everyone has that many options, though.

GG

The alternative is a clamp on the column that can rotate while the square bar moves in and out. They've been around for dog's years too, and don't require drilling the table.

One of my former employers had a drill press vise similar to the one that f350ca has, and I really liked it. It worked great for most stuff, but once in a great while I still had to remove it or swing it out of the way and use a larger vise.

I've got an Atlas 12 3/4" bench top drill press. What size Heinrich vise would you guys recommend? The 3" seems pretty small, but the 4" or 6" may be too big?

Back