Faucet Aerator Threads

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I had to buy a new faucet aerator for my kitchen and went to Home Depot. I bought and installed it without issue.

But, what is up with these threads?!? What oddball sizes! Does anyone know the origin of these weird threads?

• Dual thread 15/16 in. - 27 and 55/64 in. - 27

At least you can find a replacement. We have a Hansgrohe kitchen faucet and the aerator threads are M24 -1mm. For some reason Hansgrohe doesn't stock replacements. Argh!

Odd isn't it- 27 tpi also used on microphone stands
-Mark

Not sure, I think it's 15/16" or 7/8"
-M
edit: I was wrong it's apparently 5/8" x 27

Maybe another member like Dahl who changes or repairs faucets frequently would know the size .
I know for sure the size of microphone stand is 5/8"-27 but the faucet aerators may have a larger diameter than 5/8", once you know the size, you could order the tap/dies set on eBay , that's where I found my set for microphone stand, the gooseneck tube that a mic mounts on has 5/8"-27 thread on both ends.

Last edited:
Possibly it is because 1/16" and 1/8" pipe are 27 tpi
I suspect this is where it started. 1/8 pipe became lamp fittings when electric replaced gas. Thin tubes require fine threads, so 27 it is.
Isn't this why we own thread-cutting lathes?

Why is 4ft. 8.5 in. standard railroad gauge? Because it's the width of two horse's asses.

Funny thing is that most lathes will not cut 27 threads without special change gears.

I wasn't planning on cutting this thread. I bought the aerator for under $5. I just thought it was an odd size.

Back