Faucet Aerator Threads

I think a heavy 10 cuts it, and some Sheldons
The change gear Atlas will but the QC doesn't (without a special gear)

Probably obvious, but remember 1/8 and 1/4 NPT are pipe threads and tapered, so even if your lathe could be set to 27tpi, no dice.

I bought Geometric dies for these sizes that make male threads a snap, and again obviously, I tap the female sides.

Star reloading dies are 27 tpi. My PM 1340GT won't cut em but the machine shop in town can on a 1950's vintage lathe.

I had the same problem ended up going thru 3 different fittings till I found the correct one.
I was doing this to make and adapter from the kitchen faucet to a garden hose for my hydraulic sausage stuffer

I suspect this is where it started. 1/8 pipe became lamp fittings when electric replaced gas. Thin tubes require fine threads, so 27 it is.
Isn't this why we own thread-cutting lathes?

Why is 4ft. 8.5 in. standard railroad gauge? Because it's the width of two horse's asses.
MrWhoopee is basically right. 4'8.5" was the standard width between wagon wheels. This goes clear back to Europe which goes back to the Roman days. The Roman chariots were that wide and were pulled by two horses. America once had several track gauges. The South before and sometime after the Civil War had a 5' gauge. The most famous 3' was the Rio Grande because of the mountainous terrain. The Standard gauge became adopted in the 1880's.

At least you can find a replacement. We have a Hansgrohe kitchen faucet and the aerator threads are M24 -1mm. For some reason Hansgrohe doesn't stock replacements. Argh!

Hansgrohe, lifetime warranty. Just call tech support and they'll mail you one.

Maybe another member like Dahl who changes or repairs faucets frequently would know the size .
I know for sure the size of microphone stand is 5/8"-27 but the faucet aerators may have a larger diameter than 5/8", once you know the size, you could order the tap/dies set on eBay , that's where I found my set for microphone stand, the gooseneck tube that a mic mounts on has 5/8"-27 thread on both ends.

Usually tech support will send you a part for free or cheap. As long as it's a quality brand. I wouldn't know much about cheaper brands as I just refuse to deal with them. And buy from a plumbing supply house, home depot sells the same make and model but in plastic instead of brass.

Hansgrohe, lifetime warranty. Just call tech support and they'll mail you one.
Usually tech support will send you a part for free or cheap. As long as it's a quality brand. I wouldn't know much about cheaper brands as I just refuse to deal with them. And buy from a plumbing supply house, home depot sells the same make and model but in plastic instead of brass.

Good to know. Thanks!

At some $360 for a faucet back in 2006, it had better be quality. It has generally been trouble free but we have a combination of hard water and iron in our water and every couple of years, in spite of running softened water, I have to clean the aerator. The cleaning process is slowly taking its toll and at some point I will need to replace it.

Whole house filtration with water softener will solve most water issues.

Back