Feedback on this milling machine: Birmingham Model: BPS-1649C

wachuko

Professor of Pending Projects
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Is is a good machine to look at? Less than an hour from where I live...

What is a fair price for something like this?
What should I be looking for in terms of common problems? How do I check for those?

Milling Machine-1.jpg

Milling Machine-4.jpg

From the ad it mentions:

Additional Items Included:
Mitutoyo Digital Readout Scale System X and Y Axis - (So it looks like it only DRO for two axis....)
Misc. Collets and Tools
Coolant System
Power Table Feed for X, Y, Z - (I do not see this from the photos... I only see one power feed on table)
Electric Control Box
Cutter Holder
Clamping Kit Set
Digital Readout - (Called out twice...)
Base Coolant Drop Pan
Power Air Draw Bar unit - (Some photos has it, some don't)
Vise
NMTB #30 Spindle

Found an old video of this model (not of this exact machine)... and gives me an idea of how the axis are powered...

Looks pretty good, they are a Taiwan head on a Chinese bodied Bridgeport clone. Roughly 7K new without the DRO. Nice size for sure, color me jealous if you get it!! Thinking 3.5K ish or less?

Looks pretty good, they are a Taiwan head on a Chinese bodied Bridgeport clone. Roughly 7K new without the DRO. Nice size for sure, color me jealous if you get it!! Thinking 3.5K ish or less?

Thank you.

I just know that I want another (larger) milling machine... I made a mistake CNCing my G0704... and at this point, I do not want to switch it back to manual. Will finish it and learn how to properly use it. I spend over 14 hours in front of a computer, for work... I really do not know what got me to think that, to relax, I would like to spend even more time in front of a computer to use the mill :D:D ... Maybe when I retire it will be fun getting in front of the computer only to play with the CNC mill... but right now, it is not fun for me...

So I started to price out a milling machine... and anything I see new from PM is going to be over 4-5K.... If I can get something locally, like this one, for less than 4K then I will jump on it... the risk is that it might make me delay the build of the workshop by another year...

This is the first one I see that looks decent... everything else I have seen looks beat up... Now, I am clueless on these machines, so me saying that they look beat up means nothing.... they might be perfect, but I have nobody close that can help figure out carp from good...

I sent a message to the seller to see if I can stop by to look at it... and see how low he is willing to go. I should start preparing the wife for the expense... ...where is that case of wine? lol

I sure hope this is the one...

Having a variable version is really the only thing lacking, but the step pulley wouldn't scare me away! ;)

Having a variable version is really the only thing lacking, but the step pulley wouldn't scare me away! ;)

Yes, that would have been perfect... I am spoiled with the variable speed on mine...

I will report back if the seller gets back to me and I can see it Wednesday...

Well... someone is stopping by tomorrow to take a look :(... If that guy does not take it (which I doubt they will pass up on it), then I will get it Wednesday (if everything checks out)...

The text says 30 taper spindle but it is obvious that it is R8 if the tooling shown is for that machine.

The text says 30 taper spindle but it is obvious that it is R8 if the tooling shown is for that machine.

Correct. It is an R8. Several typos on the listing. Some was just a direct copy/paste from the vendor site... some things made no sense...

And one photo did not have the power air draw bar in it...

Milling Machine-2.jpg

Or maybe is that black cylinder sitting in the back of the motor... removed for ???

Anyway... a few more photos...

Milling Machine-3.jpg

Milling Machine-5.jpg

Milling Machine-6.jpg

Milling Machine-7.jpg

Milling Machine-8.jpg

Back