Feedback on this milling machine: Birmingham Model: BPS-1649C

It's present in pics 1 & 2 and yes, the cover is just off to show it, I have the same one on mine at work.

Nice boring heads selection there too :applause 2:

I have a variable-speed 10x54 version that I paid 6k for basically-brand-new. Its a pretty darn solid machine that you won't regret! There are some small but not really relevant corners that were cut when making it (compared to a bridgeport), but nothing that doesn't make it worth it as a cheaper BP! I'd say go for it!

PS: The power drawbar is awesome! I wish I had one, I need a stool to reach the drawbar.

That would go for 4-5k around here.

A bit off your topic but you brought it up in your post. With 3D printers there are files available to download both free and paid (Thingiverse etc). I wonder if there is anything like that for CNC machines, so you could actually get some use from your CNC mill without spending hours drawing up stuff on the computer.

As far as a price for a BP type mill You hear about $1000 mills, but it seems like everybody I actually know who has bought a BP or clone in the past 3-5 years to get one that works well you are probably looking at spending $3000-4000 either up front buying a good machine without issues or the total actually spent after fixing up a less expensive machine bought as a project. Location of course being a major factor, and I gather Florida is not thick with machinery.

I thought this was a good video going over things to check when buying a used mill

Same DRO as on my Kent. No frills, just X & Y

I guess that the question I wanted to ask was: Is this a better option than a new bench type mill from PM?

Like I said, the buyer in front of me might not pass it up... but if I get the chance to get it, want to make sure it would be better than going new with something like a PM-932M-PDFw/PM3axDRO.

Oh, and I forgot to share... asking price for that Birmingham is 3K. He had it listed for awhile at 4K and just recently dropped the price...

I guess that the question I wanted to ask was: Is this a better option than a new bench type mill from PM?

Like I said, the buyer in front of me might not pass it up... but if I get the chance to get it, want to make sure it would be better than going new with something like a PM-932M-PDFw/PM3axDRO.

Oh, and I forgot to share... asking price for that Birmingham is 3K. He had it listed for awhile at 4K and just recently dropped the price...
That is a WAY better machine than a benchtop. I cannot stress how it is a world's-better maxhine. 3k is a pretty solid deal for that.

The ONLY downside I see is a 2 vs 3 axis, though I always found the Z axis was way less useful, and rarely mind on my new machine.

Well, I knew this was going to happen... machine sold to the guy that went to look at it today... darn it...

Thank you all for the comments. I will keep searching for something similar locally...

I first bought a PM30-MV. Later I got a really good deal on a Taiwanese Bridgeport clone. It's another world. The -932 is more substantial than the pm30 but I think the same will apply. Now, a worn-out used machine may be problematic, so you'll have to evaluate that aspect of each particular option.

Ah - I see that it sold. That will happen. Good luck with your search. Around here, mills don't show up very often at all; I still can hardly believe I found mine.

Back