Feedback on this milling machine: Birmingham Model: BPS-1649C

I think posting these kind of “should I buy this” questions is an excellent way to determine what to do. If by the time you post the ad, collect the various opinions, analyze the responses and decide, the answer is clear. If it’s sold already, you should have bought it, if it’s not sold, you shouldn’t.

Easy peasy.

At least I am learning a lot... three days ago I did not know what to look for. Now, with your comments and recommended videos, I can at least know the things to check for.

I think posting these kind of “should I buy this” questions is an excellent way to determine what to do. If by the time you post the ad, collect the various opinions, analyze the responses and decide, the answer is clear. If it’s sold already, you should have bought it, if it’s not sold, you shouldn’t.

Easy peasy.

It was a learning experience for sure. Had I known three days ago what I know now, I would have just drove over to buy it and not even ask for feedback here, hehehehe...

I will keep a dial indicator, with a magnetic base, in the glove compartment... along with a machinist right angle square :D:D... You know, just to be ready to go.

At least I am learning a lot... three days ago I did not know what to look for. Now, with your comments and recommended videos, I can at least know the things to check for.
The rule of thumb for me, assuming you will keep interest is to buy the biggest tool you can afford and store. Going back to my woodworking days, I ended up finding myself outgrowing each tool and wishing I'd just bought big in the first place.

In my shop, I'm on my 2nd mill, lathe, and shaper, having realized the usefulness of a larger tool with all almost immediately.

Look at each machine you miss out on as an education. Asking about a machine certainly lowers the chance of you getting that machine, but sometimes that is a darn it, sometimes a whoa, glad I didn't get it. Buying new you have all the time in the world to analyze, and buy the optimum machine with just the right set up, and all the accessories you want. Buying used can be great for the budget but requires a lot more knowledge and luck. I am always cruising CL, Ebay and marketplace even when I'm not actively looking for something. It helps give me an idea on what people are paying, how common different machines are, and often I see things that I didn't know existed, so I can look it up and learn more. Most of the time it is something I will never need, occasionally I discover something new that I must have. A warning though this does not help with old iron acquisition syndrome.

It can be very helpful to look at machines not even in your area, and it it is something you would seriously look at getting if closer, post it just to get some opinions. If it is a machine in California there may be zero chance of your buying it, but the responses may still be very helpful to you in the future if you see the same type closer to you, or a machine with similar issues so you know it should be avoided or you should put out extra effort to get it. Sometimes these posts help others too, because somebody closer might not have seen it and will jump on it.

Back